Jersey Turkey Opener

jode hillman

Today was our NJ Spring Gobbler opener, and for once we had perfect conditions. I knew the whereabouts of a few birds my son and I had worked on youth day this past Saturday. As I entered the woods for the morning hunt I soon heard Gobbling in a different location that expected and an un-huntable one.

I moved as close as I could as decided to wait for the sunrise. Sunrise came and went, as did any and all gobbling activity that I was hearing. Bummer.

I decided to backtrack and sit on an oak ridge that had served as a log yard 5 or 6 years ago. It is still semi open and the seed trees they left produced heavy mast last year, much of which was still on the ground. Turkey's often traffic through the area looking for food and bugs the open canopy provides. They have good visual protection from predators. It was as good a spot as any.

Coyote have moved in heavy the past few years and consequently our birds have become much less vocal. I sat and called on one of my crystal fantails sporadically, hoping to entice something. About 9:00 I caught movement on the other side of the flat, a hen.
She was dusting herself in a dry bowl. Soon another, bigger bearded hen joins her. I watch the pair for about 10 minutes. Soon thereafter I see only the top of a tail fan over the slight ridge crest. He is in full strut displaying for the hens 60 yards away! The hens begin to move my way. I am thinking "Game over, he's a goner!"

Then things get Weird! A red tailed hawk breaks from an oak top and try's to grab the small hen! She evades. but hot on the hawks tail is a trio of crows cawing and carry on! At this ruckus the Gobbler rips off a double gobble and both the crows, hawk, hens and the Gobbler move away!

I am dumbfounded..........a sure thing became a sure loss. All targets moved dead away at 12 o'clock and sounded like a good distance was traveled. I decided to sit a little longer and contemplate what the heck just happened.

About 10 minutes go by, reliving in my minds eye what I just saw. Soon I hear a steady "Crunch, Crunch, Crunch" from my 6 o'clock. It almost sounded human. Definatly not a deer. I turned slowly to see a red head picking his way through the brush. I do my best to co-ordinate my movements with his steps. I get turned and am able to get the bead of the 20 Gauge on his wattles at 25 yards. One boom later and he was flopping. Not the monster I saw earlier but a nice 2-3 year old that weighed in at 21 pounds. Just the kind of bird you need to give you an early season confidence boost!

Good morning, Jode~

Great story - you certainly added lots to the Memory Storehouse.

Congratulations!

We open Sunday - but I probably will not be armed until a friend can join me Tuesday AM.

SJS

Thanks for sharing and great bird! If it was a perfect story of " sat down, called, shot bird"....it would get boring fast! Congrats!

Dave

Congrats Jode. It was absolutely perfect weather yesterday morning and I was stuck at work. I can't wait until Saturday! I see birds strutting and fighting everywhere right now.

Good Job Bud!! The hens gave me the you know what finger 2 days in a row. But thats just hunting. Looking forward to D week!!

Jode - Congratulations on a very interesting hunt, and for practicing what my best buddy and old hunting mentor taught me. - "Stick & Stay it's bound to pay."

Woo hoo! Nothing like striking gold on the opener... only experienced it twice in 21 yrs turkey chasing but its great to have that self-inflicted pressure gone. Hate yall didn't score on youth wknd. I'm glad you posted. I actually drafted up a "since no one is talking turkeys, here's my season summary..." post a cpl days ago but figure I'll wait until after our season closes on April 30th in case I get another good story to add to it by then.

One of the best parts of your story, from another turkey hunter's perspective... you still have a strutter that you didn't "bump" in an area you can hunt to go back after before he changes his pattern!!

Congrats again.

Cool story and nice bird. Our seasons over now. I tried to get my sons on them this year..... one of them missed at close range, and with the other had two close encounters, but weren't able to seal the deal. Sure is fun trying..... Good luck with the rest of your season.

Thanks guys s. Yep first time I ever scored on opening day. Took a friends kid out today but couldn't the finish the bird.

Very nice Jode! Your story and others like it often have me wondering how many birds I have walked away from in my younger much less patient days. I used to love making them gobble and chasing them all over the place. It's no wonder I only had luck on the over zealous love struck jakes in those days. I'm still waiting to put my tag on a big mature PA public land gobbler.

Back