July workbench

Thanks Gents, birds are in the kitchen up on top the cabinets drying as we speak, man that makes the wife happy!!!!

Ken the enthusiasm for carving will dwindle if my crappie start biting.

first try with oils. love the medium but feel like i started all over!

thanks to modin for some guidance along the way!

mallard1_zpsb0138ae7.jpg
[/URL]

Happy 4th to all of you. Raining buckets all day here in SW Ohio. Looks like there's going to be a lot of soggy events this weekend.

Steve, like what you did with that "shorebird of the prairie."

Pat, those smileys look like they'd be suited to fronds ...hmmmnnnn

Tom, I hear you about the fish.

Finished another tree duck (this, a black-belly) and completed "Sea Trials" on a pair of drakes when my grandson and I did some bank fishing.

View attachment SSBlackbelly 009.jpg

View attachment SSTree ducks 005.jpg

View attachment SSTree ducks 007.jpg

View attachment SSTree ducks 014.jpg

View attachment SSTree ducks 039.jpg

Lots of other stuff in the shop to keep me busy for a while.

Bob~

Beautiful as always!

That photo of the 2 birds on the water would fool anybody/any creature.

Question: How did you light your photo of the Black Belly? Was it diffuse natural light (outside)? I go back and forth between the natural light and a variety of artificials.

All the best,

SJS

What a beautiful piece to give your nephew and his bride. Very nice job on that sandpiper. That stand is a dandy also, Steve.
Al

Al~

Thanks very much. I always prefer to give a personalized gift if I can.

I started the free-form/organic bases a couple of years back. It was for a flying (half-size) Mallard and I just happened to notice all the curves and lumps and bumps in the "scrap" of pine that resulted from sawing out the Mallard body. So, I carved it into a shape that I hope would evoke either conventional (wet) waves or "waves" of marsh grass, etc. The base for the Upland Sandpiper is a piece of redwood - salvaged from the legs of a picnic table I restored 3 years ago (for my daughter's wedding).

All the best,

SJS

Bob~

I look forward to seeing your Common. The species is a favorite "companion" on our late season hunts hereabouts when we move to the rivers. We address them respectfully as "Bull Shellpeckers"....

I carved this black cork Bull several years ago. We shoot mergs only rarely but do enjoy watching them stool in. - this has been a very effective decoy.

CommonMerganser-adjusted_zps58c2724d.jpg

I have plans to carve a hollow wooden one someday.

All the best,

SJS

Bob,Tom and Steve, I love the work you posted this month. It looks great.

Steve, I agree the shape of the base really compliments the shape of the bird.

Bob, the paint a form on those southern species is excellent!

Tom, Love what you've been doing lately. The dove rig was cool and the ruddy is great as well.

Pat, love the spoonies. You can get those rigs done like no one else.

Bill, That goose pose is cool. I think your buddy will be very happy!

Jeff, cool mallard. Nice head turn and looks like a solid gunner! Oils will take some getting used to, but I bet you'll like them.

Robert, Beautiful paint on the Spoony....

I have been managing some time in the shop, just finished this feeder Curlew.........

Last edited:
Jeff~

Great paint on a great pose - a nice alert (but not scared) Drake!

A suggestion: Bring both primaries and tertials further (about an inch) aft.

All the best,

SJS

thanks steve, and i agree 100%. didn't realize it until i started snapping photos though. couple more to go and then i'm revamping my pattern and approach altogether

Great work everyone,
A couple years ago my daughter caught a 19+" black crappie. It was the longest ever caught in the state.
I am trying to make a crappie of the same size for their Den. I think it looks like a fish so far but am to the place where I have to paint it!! I'm going to try without a air brush because I hate them!!
Thought I'd share this while it still looks like a fish, John
View attachment P1010602-001.JPG

View attachment Black Crappie 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
John - Nice fish! Both of them...

Jeff/Tom - Nice work on your decoys. Love to see pictures of them in your rig this fall... Pat

Back