New Boat Is Here!

CPKBasil and Robert

After working with David Clark for a year-and-a-half, I took delivery of the first all-fiberglass Garvey 15 yesterday!

As some folks know, he made the hull mold about a decade ago and finished 6 hulls with plywood/epoxy decks. I approached him about a cored fiberglass deck and he agreed. It was really cool to watch things evolve from a few sketches on paper, to a wooden plug, and finally a mold.

She?ll serve double duty as a fishing and hunting skiff. I?ve outfitted her with a Power Pole Micro, a T-bar anchor holder, Minn Kota Ulterra, a charging system, and a decent Garmin fish finder.

I have a few more things to add before I wet test her this week.

A few pics:

View attachment 1278F31A-9C5B-46C2-8F60-F0AAF2C63C79.jpeg

View attachment 97BC57E4-4E2E-422D-A3D2-C9304D3E9D6B.jpeg

View attachment 3EE66F49-8CC7-4F1F-962A-881939361094.jpeg

View attachment D705C630-8B97-4246-8DCE-16D5D5921281.jpeg

View attachment 0EBA3F3D-CB10-4320-AEC7-F02BCF8E4AF2.jpeg

View attachment 27624BC9-BFC6-4523-8C72-7F693083304B.jpeg

That is one great looking boat you have there. You're going to have a lot of fun with it, enjoy.

Congratulations on one sweet vessel!

Being from the south shore of Long Island, I agree with Josh that garveys are the best. My first boat was a 16-foot garvey. If I still lived on the Atlantic tidewater I would have one for sure!

David's fit and finish and attention to details are second to none. I love the pass-through to outboard in the aft piece of canvas.

I wish you many great days afloat!

SJS

Sweet looking rig. Very similar in design to what are known as Chincoteague Scows in my area. They use to be pretty common as fishing/hunting rigs in my area but not so much any more. Great hull design and will handle a lot rougher water than you should be out in to start with. Attention to detail I,m very impressed with as I,m sure you are. Enjoy and I,m sure you,ll be glad to get some fish slime and feathers on it in the near future.

Wow !! What a work of art !! Congratulations to you on purchasing one of the finest waterfowl boats being built today. You are exactly right in your description of David?s work, a boat for hunting season & fishing. You have a complete rig. The detail work David does is beautiful right down to the blind configuration. I hope to be owning one of these magnificent boats myself in the near future. I?m now recovering from my 7th back surgery. That is why I had to sell my estuary. But the Garvey is a boat I?ll be able to waterfowl hunt out of and I?m looking forward to picking mine up soon. Again congratulations on a beautiful boat and many many years of enjoyment.

Thanks a bunch, Gentlemen!

Let me know if you would like to see the build sequence. Of course, I would need to get the moderator's permission...

I love that hull! And how you outfitted it. Great dual purpose boat.

I remember when he started making those, hope Dave is well. Give him my regards please.

I looked for a chincoteaque hull for years, tracked down a few manufacturers in maryland and virginia. All had stopped making them or5 sold the molds. They went from a commercial hull to a sport fishermen with all the bells and whistles.
Only a few builders here on long island that make a commercial hull work boat. I gave up and bought a carolina skiff as most of the baymen here have done. Wooden Boats and Iron Men...

Capt Rich Geminski said:
I looked for a chincoteaque hull for years, tracked down a few manufacturers in maryland and virginia. All had stopped making them or5 sold the molds. They went from a commercial hull to a sport fishermen with all the bells and whistles.
Only a few builders here on long island that make a commercial hull work boat. I gave up and bought a carolina skiff as most of the baymen here have done. Wooden Boats and Iron Men...
On occasion you,ll still see a few laid up by different people appreciative of hulls attributes. Chesapeake Boat Works in Virginia made a lot of the hulls available used in the area now. Been probably 1/2 dz. for sale on internet sites this spring. Chesapeake made a good fiberglass hull but like any hull with a ceiling left unfinished and left in weather they will rot ceiling and stringers from inside out. I ran an 18' for several years as a fishing/skiing boat and loved it .Carolina skiffs have completely taken over the mkt. for that type hull in the area.I personally don,t think they,re a better platform , particularly in rough water. Those big open Carolina skiff floors though will carry a big load of crab pots, net reel or people and have won out.

I have hull number 2 with the wooden deck. Love mine, have hunted it for the last 9 seasons and could not be happier with mine.

Back