New TDB 14 Classic Owner - Transom Reinforcement Advice

Nicholas Robert

New member here from Long Island, NY as well as a new owner of a TDB 14’ Classic. Looking to see what others have done to strengthen/reinforce their transoms/motor boards? The boat came with a 20HP Mercury 2-stroke that I intend to sell and replace with a 25HP.

Other than the motor board I am thinking of glassing the interior floor for some added protection and cleaning up some odds and ends around the boat before repainting. Just trying to gather some ideas and make a game plan on what direction to go in. Thanks appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    837.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0385.jpeg
    IMG_0385.jpeg
    886.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0386.jpeg
    IMG_0386.jpeg
    735.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    790.2 KB · Views: 43
Welcome! Nice looking boat. There are a number of current and previous TBD owners here, I’m sure someone will have advice.

Nicholas,
I have TDB 14 Classic ('96). It came out of the old Schoolhouse Road factory in Maine after Christian had taken over from the Clark's. Tom Kondrk Was the Ohio rep for TDB back then, and he was the one I got mine from new. A great boat that has served me well for many seasons. I've never had occasion or need to reinforce the transom on mine and it is still rock-solid.
Are you having trouble or seeing an issue with yours or just concerned whether it will support a heavier motor ?
I have a Mercury 15 hp (2 stroke) on mine that serves me well for the hunting I do. That is the original hp rating for the TDB 14. Would not hesitate to hang a 20 on it, but have never experienced a problem running the 15.
Looks like you or the previous owner repainted the boat and had a newer blind fabricated for it. What year is your 14? Does it have the composite grassing rails or the wooden ones that were standard on the first years of the 14's?

Nicholas,
I have TDB 14 Classic ('96). It came out of the old Schoolhouse Road factory in Maine after Christian had taken over from the Clark's. Tom Kondrk Was the Ohio rep for TDB back then, and he was the one I got mine from new. A great boat that has served me well for many seasons. I've never had occasion or need to reinforce the transom on mine and it is still rock-solid.
Are you having trouble or seeing an issue with yours or just concerned whether it will support a heavier motor ?
I have a Mercury 15 hp (2 stroke) on mine that serves me well for the hunting I do. That is the original hp rating for the TDB 14. Would not hesitate to hang a 20 on it, but have never experienced a problem running the 15.
Looks like you or the previous owner repainted the boat and had a newer blind fabricated for it. What year is your 14? Does it have the composite grassing rails or the wooden ones that were standard on the first years of the 14's?
It’s a 1989 Classic that was recently redone locally here on Long Island. I was able to find the previous owner that had done the rehab on it and will be speaking to him soon to get more background and info on the project. It has the earlier wood grass rails (looks like they were replaced also) and the blind material was replaced by a local boat shop that makes custom covers and bimini tops. The frame is original though and I have an extra frame that came with it as well.

I see some signs on the motor board that concern me (a couple cracks, so not sure if it has taken in any moisture. I’ll take a couple pics and post here when I’m back at home), but I’m also just concerned with the design and going with a larger/heavier motor. Most of the guys with14’ Classics I see around here are running and recommend 20’s or 25’s on theirs. I lost a motor years back on a similar design motor board when it snapped off while trailing (our roads here are horrendous) and ever since it’s something I always have in the back of my mind. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:
New member here from Long Island, NY as well as a new owner of a TDB 14’ Classic. Looking to see what others have done to strengthen/reinforce their transoms/motor boards? The boat came with a 20HP Mercury 2-stroke that I intend to sell and replace with a 25HP.

Other than the motor board I am thinking of glassing the interior floor for some added protection and cleaning up some odds and ends around the boat before repainting. Just trying to gather some ideas and make a game plan on what direction to go in. Thanks appreciate it!
Nice boat Nick! Congratulations that's an awesome hull. I owned one for years. If i can be of any help reach out, I also work with TDB now alongside the Olsen family so any other info can be sent to info@tdbco.com I ran a 2-stroke 25 Yamaha on mine felt it was the perfect fit, had a custom transom made for it too for the weight and of course our wonderful moon roads here in NY!

I would be sure you use a transom saver support with that hull. I followed a classic being trailered without it one and that motor was swaying a lot! Putting a lot of stress on the relatively small transom area. I have seen some aluminum brackets created that bolt from the top of the transom to the hull, but I am sure they were DIY.

Nicholas,
All the above is good advice. I purchased a new 14 Classic from Tom Kondroick in 1993 built in Bristol Maine. The boat is completely original and kept garaged except when hunting. I ran a 15 Johnson on mine untill 3 years ago when I purchased a new 25 Yamaha 4 stroke. The way it cantilevered off he back compared to my 15 was quite concerning. It bounced going down the road and the motorboard would flex when powering up. I immediately with the help of a friend that welds, developed a bracket system with solid blocking under the deck to support the brackets. Problem solved. As a side note, a 25 is more power than you will ever need. If you pm me a cell number I can send you pictures.
RVZ

Nice boat Nick! Congratulations that's an awesome hull. I owned one for years. If i can be of any help reach out, I also work with TDB now alongside the Olsen family so any other info can be sent to info@tdbco.com I ran a 2-stroke 25 Yamaha on mine felt it was the perfect fit, had a custom transom made for it too for the weight and of course our wonderful moon roads here in NY!
Thank you, Anthony! Appreciate it and will def take you up on that. Maybe I’ll see ya at the up coming show in March.

Nicholas,
All the above is good advice. I purchased a new 14 Classic from Tom Kondroick in 1993 built in Bristol Maine. The boat is completely original and kept garaged except when hunting. I ran a 15 Johnson on mine untill 3 years ago when I purchased a new 25 Yamaha 4 stroke. The way it cantilevered off he back compared to my 15 was quite concerning. It bounced going down the road and the motorboard would flex when powering up. I immediately with the help of a friend that welds, developed a bracket system with solid blocking under the deck to support the brackets. Problem solved. As a side note, a 25 is more power than you will ever need. If you pm me a cell number I can send you pictures.
RVZ
PM sent, thanks Rod!

Nicholas
I have an 88 14 classic as well
original transom with a 25 yamaha 2 stroke (105lbs)
transom has been solid as I make sure to cover the transom board in off season
Rod - I may pm you as well for the same pics of you bracket
EJ

was a pleasure speaking with you i have a template for the motor board if you want a new one made. i did a full resto on mine as it was cracked down the middle and floor was shot took me 5 months to redo but is solid and with a new owner now here on the island as well

Not sure if I qualify to comment... but here goes. I purchased a 14 Classic knock off.. looked like it had fallen off a rack and drug around a race track.... I patched it up...and had to put a motor board on. I would have preferred to have used 3/4 meranti or okume, but it was not readily available so I went with 3/4 maple . I epoxied a piece to go on the inside of the hull, and doubled for the outside. I put thickened epoxy between the wood and the glass(on both pieces) and bolted them together. It held a 25 2 stroke Yamaha with no issues....

I did glass over the outside and tied it into the hull with 10oz glass...

Attachments

• 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 22
  • D30_8727 (2).JPG
    D30_8727 (2).JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 23
  • D30_8814 (2).JPG
    D30_8814 (2).JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 22
  • phils%20tdb (2).JPG
    phils%20tdb (2).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 23
Not sure if I qualify to comment... but here goes. I purchased a 14 Classic knock off.. looked like it had fallen off a rack and drug around a race track.... I patched it up...and had to put a motor board on. I would have preferred to have used 3/4 meranti or okume, but it was not readily available so I went with 3/4 maple . I epoxied a piece to go on the inside of the hull, and doubled for the outside. I put thickened epoxy between the wood and the glass(on both pieces) and bolted them together. It held a 25 2 stroke Yamaha with no issues....

I did glass over the outside and tied it into the hull with 10oz glass...
That’s a real clean look and looks rock solid, nice work! Don’t think my skill set would be able to take this on though…yet. 😂

was a pleasure speaking with you i have a template for the motor board if you want a new one made. i did a full resto on mine as it was cracked down the middle and floor was shot took me 5 months to redo but is solid and with a new owner now here on the island as well
Same here, Will! Thanks! Think that’s what I want to do. Have a new motor board made or make it myself and then reinforce that with an aluminum bracket like others have done.

Thinking 2 pieces of .75” Coosa Board sandwiched together with thickened epoxy, a layer of Kevlar glassed, couple layers of 1708 Biaxial glassed, and then gel coat. What’s your thoughts on that? Should be super solid with a bracket thru bolted into the deck to reinforce it.

Same here, Will! Thanks! Think that’s what I want to do. Have a new motor board made or make it myself and then reinforce that with an aluminum bracket like others have done.

Thinking 2 pieces of .75” Coosa Board sandwiched together with thickened epoxy, a layer of Kevlar glassed, couple layers of 1708 Biaxial glassed, and then gel coat. What’s your thoughts on that? Should be super solid with a bracket thru bolted into the deck to reinforce it.
with that you wont need a bracket lol i did 3/4 in mdo glassed in middle then 3 layers of matt on each side no bracket used but also depends on what motor your gonna run if 4 stroke then yes use the bracket late model 25 Yamaha (106 lbs ) you will be ok just run larger fender washers on inside or a 1/4 aluminum plate

Back