Post up some pictures y'all

Dang Tim, that much snow already? Is that normal? Or will that all melt before the winter starts?

Have fun with the grouse Fred.

And thanks if you find one....like I said, only if you don't want'em......

Dani

Pretty cool about the swans....I remember swans coming into the decoys in Argentina...they're HUGE. But not as nearly a pretty background as that slough....

Dang Tim, that much snow already? Is that normal? Or will that all melt before the winter starts?

Even though the Black Hills aren't that high, top out around 7,000 ft, they can get significant snow almost any time after the first of Sept. Most of it will melt fast this time of year. They are suppose to be in the 60s by the end of the week. The Hills are odd in that in a very short range there is a dry southern type of pine forest at one end and a cool wet spruce forest at the other end.

I'm going to cheat. I didn't make this Xterra run Sunday, but here is a link to a beautiful Springfield Mass woods drive. Wish it was sunny and not drizzling all day. Dani, I know you would have been welcome even if you drive an FJ. Everyone, feel free to skip over the Xterra shots, but they are fun to trick out.

Scott

September in Illinois and Iowa was still green.

Early morning, "early teal opener" in Illinois.
s8OpeningDayTealWEB.jpg

Daisy "hidden in green".
s11ADaisyTealWEB.jpg

Three weeks later on the Iowa side of the Mississippi (still green).
x4Mallard%20DecoysWEB.jpg

---------

Last edited:
Not much color in these pics, but I was out for a burn in a helicopter this afternoon and saw these guys.

View attachment DSCF9480.jpg

There is a bull moose and a cow in this photo. Its hard to get a good picture when the pilot is pulling a descending, reducing radius turn at Mach 1 to get a better look. I nearly hurled.

View attachment DSCF9481.jpg

I had bought some helicopter time at a fundraiser and just wanted to get out sight seeing with Meg and a couple of her buddies. It was a fun little trip!

View attachment DSCF9469.jpg

Mike

Thanks a lot y'all, some pretty color in those pictures for sure.....Jim it's hard to believe Illinois is still as green as FL....amazing....didja get any teal?

Mike...that's a neat way to do some "scouting"...I imagine the girls all had a good time. Steve and I are going to get my dad to take us up to do some scouting. Hopefully since it's my dad doing the flying, there won't be as much of the banking hard and fast....he knows I get motion sick horribly so hopefully he'd be kinder....

buuuut then again, perhaps not

Awesome! I've flown in a chopper a few times over the years and what gets me is the looking down. If I forget to take some Gravol before the flight, focusing on the horizon for a while helps keep the biscuits down.

Take lots of pictures!

Mike

Brandon, Bob,

WOW y'all have some GORGEOUS color going on. Up in Winnepeg the fall colors were starting but it's predominately yellows. I saw very few reds. I love that mix of yellows and oranges and reds...WOW

thanks a lot...great to see now that i'm back in evergreen FL

Dani

Not leaves Dani but this is one Dave Sikorski took in Manitoba a couple years ago that deserves a lil recognition!
More to follow in the next couple weeks as we depart friday!

Doug

Last edited:
Canoeing for Caribou. There are several blue bills with a few wigeon mixed in way over to the left near shore. We have been caribou hunting in white conditions for a few days now and really should have brought the shotgun and some decoys as there were no legal caribou around.

Here are two cow caribou and their calves swimming across the lake. They came to within 20 yards of shore and then turned and swam back.

Moved west away from the heavy snow and still found no caribou.

Nice sunrise casting shadows

Back