September - What on your workbench?

On the last week of the season I broke one of my ice runners putting my boat back on the trailer. I figured September was probably long enough to wait to fix it!

I also extended them towards the bow by one rib as mine were always a bit too short.

Just need some paint and I'll be good to go.

IMG_3054.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

I fabricated them, but not without a call to Bob Fricke first, who walked me through it.

As a side note, I know everyone is partial to Lou's FME paint, but do they not make Parker duck boat paint anymore? It was hard to find any.

Painting continues for the class. They'll be "under-painting" & shading the base of the head tonight. Brought in examples of spatter-painted birds and ones done with flow-line ticking for them to see last week. They all opted for flow-lines.

View attachment 005 (600 x 399).jpg

Since painting the flow lines on a black-duck head can be tricky, I wondered what would be a good way to practice other than them gesso-ing a board and practicing on it. Decided I'd whip up a flat cutout for each of them this a.m. This way they can have both their bird and the "practice" cutout while they get an idea of how the lines should flow by painting (and re-painting :)) on the cutout first. When they feel comfortable with the process, they can move to their carving.

View attachment 001 (545 x 600).jpg
Getting close now. Should be ready for "Sea Trials" pretty soon. ;-) ;-)

Last edited:
Back to my fish.
A couple 14-15" trout watercolors, a Brown Trout and Yellowstone Cutthroat.

browntrout1000_zpse8da2a11.jpg

cutthroat1000_zps19946c15.jpg

Tim

Nice job Tim ! You have me wanting to try some flat work , FLOUNDER * wish I didn't have so much going on . My favorite time of year , but don't plan on getting any thing done . Goose , sora rail , deer , flounder - just spinning around chasing my tail !

Tim, very nice!! As a former fish biologist, a couple of suggestions: Yellowstone cutthroat have a splash of red that doesn't extend that far up their gill covers-just a splash of red along the lower ventral surfaces. The operculum and pre-operculum red is strongly tinted with gold, except in spawners. They always remind me of a rainbow that has been gill hooked when I get one in-hand. Also, the dark spotting on a brown trout is more rounded and less jagged in appearance.

Last edited:
Haven't done much carving lately with working on the Sneakbox and the wedding coming next week. But, here is a pair of miniature old squaw I did for the top of our wedding cake. I tried to keep it simple with these. I still haven't mastered feathering and did not want to practice on something so small!

Thanks guys.
Leave it to a biologist to trample my artistic license. :) Just joking, it's appreciated.

Tim

Tom-

Nice job on the Old Squaw. Perhaps the hunt we spoke should also include some divers in the bay from the layout.

Chad A

Tim, very nice!! As a former fish biologist, a couple of suggestions: Yellowstone cutthroat have a splash of red that doesn't extend that far up their gill covers-just a splash of red along the lower ventral surfaces. The operculum and pre-operculum red is strongly tinted with gold, except in spawners. They always remind me of a rainbow that has been gill hooked when I get one in-hand. Also, the dark spotting on a brown trout is more rounded and less jagged in appearance.

When you say "doesn't extend that far up their gill covers" - what way do you mean "up"? I assume "up" means dorsally, but maybe I don't understand what you mean. Surely a lot of Yellowstone Cutts have red WAY up on their gill covers and some maybe even further than Tim has it.

Take this picture, for example. The red is sure way "up" there:

yellowstone_cutthroat_photo2.jpg

Back