September - Workbench

Here is a mini can about 5in long I just completed

6E3E72F9-6069-44AE-B47F-64CBE0AC06BC_zpsfg8ul0kj.jpg

Steve and Troy. Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully it brings us some luck in a few months when we come up. I'll be sure to post them up when painted.

Last edited:
Bill, that pile was a shop day with the Greens-- Now tht the Giants have been scored on by atlanta( sniff, sniff), i shall spend some time grinding on a few of those palomas.

Cooking up a very special pair of frond birds, but nothing to post until both are complete. Then I'll have a nice start-to-finish pictorial.

Meanwhile, here's a call done last week from wood with a story of its own.
This is an inlaid goose call turned from a piece of Pecan from a tree that had been recorded by arborists from OSU as Ohio's oldest & largest pecan tree prior to being splintered by a lightning strike in 1973. Stood 96' high, had a 110' crown spread, and measured 5' DBH (Diameter at Breast Height).

View attachment KPulsPecan.jpg
Not a whole lot of this wood remaining in my "wood library," so it's good to think that it will be put to use for many years to come with some of the calls that are out there......and, of course, there are quite a few decoys "floating around" that have pecan keels as well :)

Last edited:
Keep at it Colin! nice birds.
My first attempt at a dead mount . It was fun to do. cedar and tube oils.

sean%20sutton%20dead%20mount.jpg

Last edited:
nice job sean, ooks like he's waiting for you to turn your back so he can pop off the board and fly away....only had that happen once.

Working on hen techniques. Wish I had painted hens from the get-go, it's like starting over. Less concerned with layout and color than with blending and softness. Painted three days apart, latest is the BW on the right side.

tealsilos.jpg

Back