September - Workbench

Thanks guys for the kind words. The oversized drake was inspired by my friend, Jim Schmiedlin.
Dave, on the Ducharmes, a little blow torch to the head really gets that grain to stand up.
Redheads up next... pg

Last edited:
Here's a Pintail for a local art show/fundraiser for farmland conservation:

Pintail%202015%20B_zpsmpzizkf8.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Dave, definite improvement from first bird on left to second on right if you are trying for soft. Obviously both are nice gunners!

Good morning, Frank~

Great paint on that Drake Mallard - and that Poult is really sweet - the posture is perfect!

All the best,

SJS

Frank, 50 birds this year. Your a machine. The polt in the background of the mallard shot gives me perspective of size. How did you do the legs?
Tx, Phil

Steve any more pics of that sprig? Pete and I have one all primed but we are looking for some inspiration.

that one looks awesome to me

Good morning, Chris~

Only one more shot of that bird - it's off to the races already.

Pintail%20CLOSEUP_zpsysipzs22.jpg

But, here are some from some earlier birds. I am guessing that you want more detail on the back feathers - from the upper tail coverts right through the scapulars. As you can see, I take a slightly different approach each time.

Here's one from 2013:

ASA%20-%20Pintail%20drake_zpsxhyyo0li.jpg

This is the Pineapple Effect I strive for on several drake puddlers - with the scapulars drooped/fanned out:

Pintail%20Back%20-%20pineapple_zps7qezv0jh.jpg

I painted the vermiculation on the cape and sides:

Finch%202_zpsi1tsmzg9.jpg

This is from last December - probably my favorite approach on the tertials and scapulars.

Finch%201_zpsfe9xfwqv.jpg

And here's the simpler gunner job I've been doing on some Bean's birds of late.

20%20Tertials_zpsokixyy1c.jpg

Hope this helps,

SJS

Thank you,Steve

they all look great. The pineapple effect looks nice. I am looking forward to painting the bird

Just finished up a prototype flattie decoy. I've been going to make some for years but only recently got around to it.

IMG_20150930_161733_938_zpsimjtbgvw.jpg

IMG_20150930_161723_269-1_zpsunmht9ne.jpg

I kept it as simple as I could. 2x western red cedar body and a 1x head. Primed with flat rustoleum and painted with latex. It floats up higher then I thought it would. Now I need to get some more wood to make 3 or 4 more Buffies...and a couple Goldeneyes...then maybe some teal...and maybe even a Merganser or two.

Tim

Last edited:
cool buffy tim. I've also tinkered with making those for some time but i'm never satisfied with the final product, but I like yours!

My experience with "Flatties" is they are great filler decoys and ride really well, but if it is making ice, they will coat really fast!

Back