shell lake mallard queen I.D.

That's great find. I have one just like it that my grandfather restored in the 70's. We shot a lot of ducks from it. Sadly, I haven't used it in years. Needs a little repair to the gunwale but otherwise in good shape.

funny that old post showed up today as i was repairing my outwales. I used black locust this time. I pre bent the wood using my not to fancy but effective steam box. i built a jig to hold the wood to approximately the shape of the boat. to get it to length i scarfed two eight footers together. i used 1 inch square stock and let it steam for about a half hour. you only have a minute to get the wood in the jig before it starts to cool off and go back to the former shape. View attachment D7D84A0D-BBCB-44E9-B164-528E810E6F47.jpeg

Good morning, Bob~

Great post!

Question 1: Any particular reason you used Black Locust over White Ash for your rails? Rot resistance?

Question 2: What glue did you use on your scarf joints? I have wondered how epoxy would hold up under steaming. Or, was the scarf glued after steaming?

All the best,

SJS

Hi Steve, the locust is very tot resistant and i had some on hand for an outdoor furniture project. I scarfed and epoxied the lumber as i have always done but did have a failure on one of the joints on the building form. i repaired the joint while on the form .
I predrilled the holes every 8 inches and used a counter sink
I bedded that with polyurethane construction adhesive.
View attachment 610D4B65-2EC6-4165-BDC0-18ED60C3719F.jpeg

Sweet!

Funny you should mention the construction adhesive. I have been thinking of bedding the rubrails on the Great South Bay Scooter in something other - less expensive and less tenacious - than 5200.

Which product did you use?

SJS

the stuff i used was loctite PL Max Premium.
Don't follow all the hack jobs I do Steve, keep your work top shelf as always!

Back