What's on the Workbench in September...

Nice looking stuff all. Derek like the 'Squaw and enjoyed seeing a pic of your boats in the current issue of Delta waterfowler magazine.

Awesome work by all!!! I love this thread! Some amazing stuff on here!

The season is almost here and I'm running out of time to get everything ready! I made up some Y-Boards to try out this season and finally got the glass on the Sanford style box.
P9090075.jpg

P9090073.jpg

P9090078.jpg

I keep telling you guys I had some decoys on the bench getting ready for paint. I finally finished them up a few weeks ago but because i was busy getting ready for my annual trip to Manitoba I did not have time to post pictures. So finally here are a few pictures of some of the most recently decoys to come off my bench. I am really quite happy with this rig of nine teal. It certainly seems to be a perfect number for a teal rig. Next year two will be removed from the rig and replaced. Those two being removed were started the day my twin niece and nephew were born and after those two little green wings are hunting for a year I will set them aside and the next time they hunt will be by the twins. I imagine during the Ohio teal season.

The light was never really good for pictures in Manitoba but here you guys go... so working decoys doing the work.

2012-09-08-Manitoba-066.jpg

2012-09-08-Manitoba-074.jpg

2012-09-08-Manitoba-077.jpg

2012-09-08-Manitoba-079.jpg

2012-09-08-Manitoba-108.jpg

2012-09-08-Manitoba-111.jpg

2012-09-08-Manitoba-152.jpg

You would be surprised she managed to get blood all over her face three times while we were up there. I don't know what she does to those birds but they don't appear any worse for wear when she hands them over.

Glad you liked the pictures.

An hodge podge rig of pintals I put together this summer to hunt over. hollow cedar and oils.

Sutton%20pintail%20rig.jpg

A jumbo sleeper Black I finished yesterday.

Sutton%20Black%20Duck.jpg

A mallard hen to add to this years rig.

Sutton%20hen%20mallard.jpg

A pair of mallard for a customer.

Sutton%20Mallard%20pair.jpg

Greater Scaup .

DSC02929.jpg

Here a pic of a over sized Canvasback that hung out side my shop all summer. I thought it was a need pic.

Sutton%20older%20canvasback.jpg

And last a pair of yellowlegs this month. Hoped you enjoyed!

DSC02957.jpg

Sean, great work! Love those pinnies! How do you transport those and protect them from breaking the necks?

Thanks guys! Transport ? I keep them up on the bowl of the boat. nothing special.
Mike I use a two piece neck. Run the grain lenth wise with the neck and fasten the head on. Always use the grain of the wood to your vantage. Bullet proof .
two_peice_neck.jpg

Last edited:
Kris and everyone else that commented thanks so much. I am really happy with them and plan to hunt them for quite a few years. I am not sure whats next on the rig list but Ill be sure to post it when I get started. Right now I have two woodies that I am trying to get finished for season. Season opens Saturday so I doubt they will be dry.

Sean,
Amazing work. I think you created a signature pose with those pins and its certainly something you see in nature.

These two decoys were also hunted on our trip to Manitoba this year. They are not carved by me so I will let there owner chime in on them.

The story of the Can and the Teal is really kinda neat but since they are not my decoys I will let him tell it.

2012-09-08-Manitoba-(Doug)-241.jpg

2012-09-08-Manitoba-(Doug)-270.jpg

Back