What's on your WORK BENCH ? - FEBRUARY 2021

MLBob Furia said:
Working on another urn gunning decoy. This one a Greater.

I also started on a greater deadmount at the same time. Figured that while I had the reference collected, I might as well do 2 for 1.

Bob, looks great. I sent you an email.

Here is the completed Greater.

As some may have deduced by now it holds the ashes of Brad's Kip, a dog who had a remarkable run as a hunting companion. Just read Brad's tribute and also saw some other recent posts there that I had missed.

More pictures of the entire process can be found at the Facebook link in my signature.

View attachment IMGP5901 (3).JPG

View attachment IMGP5909 (3).JPG

View attachment IMGP5904 (2).JPG

View attachment IMGP5913 (2).JPG

View attachment IMGP5952.JPGView attachment IMGP5939 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Appears to be a productive month so far. Folks are staying busy.

Just a few of "in progress" projects on the paint table, others are in the wings... [;)]

The Cardinal, and fall plumage Pied-Billed Grebe are hollow Sugar Pine.

The flying Common Tern (Great Lakes Tern back in the day) with minnow in beak, is painted on a discarded plywood circle found on the curb with others, for free.

Deep winter means very good North light at times, brush in my hand, and the scent of good oil paint.

Life is good.

View attachment P2130059.JPGView attachment P2120033.JPG

Neat pose on the grebe--The round piece with the tern is spiffy--cardinal is a mite glossy. You are a brave soul for messing with red!

DDM,

Tanks!

The gloss on the Cardinal stays. Removable UV Protection Winsor Newton Oil Colour Varnish, and with time will lessen.

Took the project in the opposite direction as much as possible. Crest is down, not up, red variations, etc.

It shall migrate to western PA, to the home of a ICU nurse that recovered from covid.

She's happy with it = So am I.

It is a one and done.

Best regards
Vince

Eric, Been thinking about adding a blaster cabinet to my shop. Have a 100lb roll around now. What size compressor do you have and does it keep up.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Kluesener said:
Eric, Been thinking about adding a blaster cabinet to my shop. Have a 100lb roll around now. What size compressor do you have and does it keep up.

Thanks,
Mike

My compressor is two stage, 5 hp, with an 80 gallon tank. It keeps up but is working hard to do so. I keep the cabinet regulator at around 65 PSI. The jet in my gun is the larger of the two I can get for it. I have the smaller one and need to experiment with it to see how fast it takes off material, for sure it uses less air. So far about the only thing I don't like about my setup is the suction tube is STIFF. That makes it hard to move the gun around and easily point it. I need to try and find a more supple hose, yet one that won't collapse.

Eric

[size 4] Vince,
you're apparently making good use of being forced indoors by the weather.
Great stuff! My Goldeneye painting hangs in a place of honor in the music room.

Anyone here ever refurb a Crossman 760 pump? I can NOT believe how many parts this thing has! It's from the 70's I believe and my friend thought it would be an easy fix....now I'm on the hunt for an O ring...

Bob,

Good to hear from you.

Thank you for your kind words

I enjoyed doing that "King Diver" for you. Glad it's in yer music room.[smile]

As you know I work very slow when it comes to carving, and some painting. But once the oil paint is on the palette, I gotta use it before I loose it. So I draw and paint until it's gone.

Earth tones from the Grebe, inspired a Ruffed Grouse, a female Woodcock (both on wine case lids), and Grey duck decoy on cardboard. Hope to post photos when they progress.

Actually it has been a mild winter for us up here, until just recently. 8 -9 inches of snow each time, not feet. Crust on top put a damper on squirrel hunting.

After I organized my fly boxes (first time in 30 years), and got all fly fishing gear ready to go. It was time for me to do some art.

As you well know once the paint bush is in yer hand. Yer in The Zone, and back home.

Best regards
Vince

Tom,

Thank you very much.

Have to make stands for the Cardinal and Grebe. So while the oils cure, I went down in the shop to work. Even with the Pelonis electric heater cranked, sure was chilly, but enjoyable.

A guy gotta stay busy, especially these days.

Best regards
Vince

Mike Kluesener said:
Thanks Eric. Two stage with 60 gallon tank. Sounds like I am a little undergunned.

You can do a lot with that with a smaller jet. They make different sizes of nozzles/jets for guns to compensate for the air a compressor can muster.

Eric

Back