What's on your WORK BENCH ? - January 2020

Hmm, at first glance you'd think this was a 20 gauge youth gun. It's pretty stubby and low tech with a short barrel. I'm going to do more work on it this weekend and post some progress. This weekend is our closer so I'll see what I can sneak in around hunting.

My dad's Mossberg has 28" barrel with a vented polychoke - I would guess realistic weight is 8 pounds. Could not be confused for a youth gun.

Joe

Patrick et al~

The patient came through the procedure nicely.

Glued up. I used just gravity (with lots of help from the brass rod) because clamping - even with just shock cord - proved too challenging.

View attachment 1 Down East SC - bill epoxied on with gravity.JPG

Thickened epoxy cured.

View attachment 2 Down East SC - bill epoxy cured, full.JPG

Extra wood snapped off. (Turns out I did not need it - as for clamping). Ready to carve and sand.

View attachment 3 Down East SC - epoxy cured and bill simplified.JPG

An oblique view from up forward.

View attachment 4 Down East SC - oblique bill.JPG

That sweet Feeder/Swimmer profile.

View attachment 5 Down East SC - bill painted - pattern profile.JPG

Everything based-coated.

View attachment 6 Down East SC - FULL body profile.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Very nice repair, Steve. I made a partial prosthetic weeks ago for a foam bluebill. I have attempted to upload a photo. I don?t have a picture of the block I glued onto the bill before carving, but I also could not get a clamp to work. After trying many different things I remembered duct tape...and that worked very well to hold some pressure while the glue cured!

This decoy is in the process of a total makeover and restle coat.

Best,

Mike
View attachment 1FF45ED9-A3E3-4AF0-BE99-2CA9E1DC3E6A.jpeg

Good morning, Michael~

What decoy (maker) is that?

I, too, use duct tape for clamping (holding, really) when using thickened epoxy for repairs where a tight fit is unnecessary.

Here is a black cork "dutchman" on the chest of a Bean's Canada.

View attachment Beans - chest dutchman.JPG

Here it is after the overnight cure.

View attachment Beans chest epoxy cured.JPG

Sawn to plan view - on band saw. I then carve most of the epoxy off with a knife.

View attachment Beans chest sawn - upright.JPG

Shaped with medium rasp then sanded with 80 grit.

View attachment Beans chest sanded.JPG

This body will get an epoxy sealer coat later this morning.

All the best,

SJS

Really like the profile of that black!

Started on another tableau piece this month, but it promises to be a long time in the making. As a result, I decided I'd better have some cork gunning birds going if for nothing more that to provide a break from the other project. Freeze kept me off the River this week, so I did the heads and body rough-outs for the corkers.

View attachment IMGP3732.JPG

View attachment IMGP3734.JPG

Last edited:
HI STEVE,
DID YOU EVER GET THAT HERTERS BODY I SENT YOU UP MISSING A HEAD . NEVER HEARD FROM YOU . AS I TOLD YOU PUT IT IN YOUR COLLECTION.
KEEP THE PAINT FLOWING IN ALL YOUR RESTERATION WORK. PAUL

Bucket plastic. Paul D gave me some to try/ Gotta admit, it IS flexible. The old one, circa 1985 had no tail extention simply because I figured that it would be a pita to wrap the lines with it there.
First one was painted with Aquatec acrylics. That is still the original paint, probably because we just stopped hunting squaws due to flavor. I do have a pair that occasionally surface for paint applications.
Thanks again for the post.[;)]

Thanks, Tom. Squaw are somewhat of a rarity for me, as I do not shoot them, therefore, I don't make many decoys. That one with the tail insert is only the fourteenth that I have made since doing the first one in 1985. Having a specimen available does help a bit.

Bomber, a buddy of Bruce's has the others, and with the new one and the one in shop, that makes 14. You have the biggest group that are being used, I think, as Bruce's buddy no longer guns.. Hey, I thought you had six!!!![w00t]

Last edited:
Here is a Mossberg 195K-A that I inherited and clearly it was in bad shape. There will be completed pics to follow in the Feb Workbench. Thanks to all who commented on the Bluing thread, it was a big help.One question is the trigger guard. It seems to have sagged out of its track but oddly enough, it doesn't really sit that snuggly even on new models that I've seen. Any suggestions? It's hard plastic. View attachment IMG_0767.jpgView attachment IMG_1590 2.JPG
View attachment IMG_0769.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning, Mc~

Nice work! My first gun was a Mossberg bolt-action. I used those big 3-inch .410 shells for Black Ducks and such.....

See you in Hauppauge,

SJS

Back