What's on your WORKBENCH ? -April 2020

Hey Rooster,
Ain't nothing strange about shooting from the sinister side. Nice thing is you will always get the right side of the blind. Pick up an auto, then you won't have to muck about with shucking shells.[;)]
Remember, sinister is better!!!!
Senor senuelo

Damn, there goes our early spring!! Appears to be a youngster. Just get rid of glands and put in a slow cooker next time!

Turkey Vultures never leave here, even in the dead of winter. That really surprised me the first year I lived here.

Then the light went on. With way more cows than people, cows die everyday, and the Vultures have lots of cleaning up to do.

No matter where I go hunting and fishing, there is never a shortage of bleached, dry, cow bones.

As far as Groundhogs, Crows, and Vultures.

In times of trouble what protein we scoff at today, we may not scoff at in the future.

History teaches us that.

Been many years since I shot groundhogs. Wasted very few (poor shooting) and we ate our share.

Now they prefer back yards, field edges, and woods cuz of Mr. Wiley Coyote.

We shall see what the future brings.

VP

Vince~

Do you have Black Vultures out your way? They came up here a few years ago - and stick around during the Winter. Our Turkey Vultures still migrate, though.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

We have both, but Turkey Vultures are the majority.

During most of the year it is not uncommon to see 50-75+ Vultures working over town, and into the surrounding hills

Winter groups are about 25 to 50. There could be more, as they hang close to the food source.

If those are all Black Vultures that is a large group of birds.

Feeding on winter dead deer close to the roads, I have seen both.

When I lived in western PA. Black Vultures were only in very few places, and not common.

But both the Turkey and the Black Vultures would migrate in winter.

That is why I was so surprised to see them stay over in winter here.

They have adapted very well to where a reliable food source is all year long.

Nature never ceases to amaze me.

One of the first things I do when I walk out of the house, is to look up and see whats going on.

Best regards
Vince

Good morning, Bob~

Great bird! That ragging is surely a great technique for this species.

Glad you're feeling up to it. I imagine you share my need to be productive to feel "right".

All the best,

SJS

Bob,

Yer "Down East" Black Duck is a blend of old school & new. A style that you pull off very well.

I like that the voids in the cork show, and are part of the overall character of the Decoy.

He's got a swimming/cruisin' "Tude"... He means business.

Gunning wear will only make him look better.

my 2 cents

Glad yer up and around, and getting back to what ya DO.

Best regards
Vince

This blank started out as a another chunk of firewood. I was aware that it was quite weather checked but unsure just how deep the cracks penetrated. As I got into it, the cracks were deeper than I had hoped. Almost threw it into the burn barrel a couple times but decided to see how well super glue would possibly hold it together.

I'm actually pleased with the results and it was a learning experience in the strength of super glue. 4 inch depth by 8 inch diameter, Walnut

View attachment BOWL-008-B.jpg

View attachment BOWL-008-A.jpg
View attachment BOWL-008-C.jpg

Dave,

The mark of a true craftsman/artist is confronting challenges, accepting them, dealing with them in a educational (often new) way, and producing quality work.

That is one fine work with lots of character, and a good story.

"Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Best regards
Vince

Finally got my band saw blade on and tuned...should have done that a long time ago. Didn't realize how dull the old blade had gotten.

Made some progress on the brant decoy. Reached a stopping point tonight . Rounded a good portion of the body. Got the head hot glued on to address the breast and neck line tomorrow.

My shop manager is mad at me for all the noise tonight

View attachment 20200414_001402.jpg

Last edited:
Dax tail goes up a lot higher than your lines have it. The high tail will produce the attitude of a brant. BTW they have very small tails, unlike their cousins, the 'regular' geese.

Good morning, Dax~

I always enjoying seeing one of my favorite species in the works!

I concur with George regarding the stern section - very buoyant in this graceful goose. On the other hand, I think the tail is no shorter than its cousins. Rather, the black tail feathers themselves are almost completely covered by exceptionally long upper and lower tail coverts. I believe this is a "keep warm" feature for this High Arctic nester.

All the best,

SJS

Steve I think it is the narrow butt end that makes me look at a smallish tail. I rarely see them flare the tails, like their cousins, and as a result make that black area--tail-rather small, instead of wide. The mount, and both species , west and east cost, along with a juvie, that live in the morgue exhibit the no flare. Saves on tailboard material, too!!!
Dax is easily led towards the dark side--encourage him to stay simple and show lots of rump for the white!!

Back