What's on your WORKBENCH ? -April 2020

Good morning, Dax~

I also forgot to praise you for the head shape. That little squared off 'knot" at the back of the head makes a Brant - from my way of thinking.

All the best,

SJS

This rig began in March but due to oil drying time I have finally given the birds the final wash coat. The mottled duck drakes were a first for me on that specie so don?t judge to harshly if I missed something. The pair of whistling ducks are still in the rough out stage should be ready next couple of days. Already have 4 doz teal.View attachment C445CAA0-51F7-4DBD-ACE2-FDF2DDEC21A7.jpeg

P. Revicki said:
I just finished carving three Stratford style decoys. Cork bodies and pine heads. They are all sealed and primed and ready for paint. The high head will be painted as a mallard and the other two as blacks.

Lotta style & class.

Paint = Icing on the cake.

Two thumbs way up.

Best regards
Vince

Eric Patterson said:
Richard

Sign looks good. That makes me want to splurge for a CNC even more.

Eric

Eric,
Which do you think would be more useful or versatile to you ; a CNC router or a CNC laser engraver. Understandably they each have their own strengths as well as some overlapping functions.

Dave

I've not looked into a laser engraver so I'm not too familiar with their capabilities but tend to think a CNC router would be more useful in my shop. I have an upcoming project that would be enhanced significantly if I had a CNC router. I know cutting out plywood boat parts would be easier and more accurate with a CNC router assuming its table was big enough.

What about you? Which makes more sense in your shop? I bet a laser engraver could do some neat things on your bowls.

Eric

Eric Patterson said:
Dave

I've not looked into a laser engraver so I'm not too familiar with their capabilities but tend to think a CNC router would be more useful in my shop. I have an upcoming project that would be enhanced significantly if I had a CNC router. I know cutting out plywood boat parts would be easier and more accurate with a CNC router assuming its table was big enough.

What about you? Which makes more sense in your shop? I bet a laser engraver could do some neat things on your bowls.

Eric

I really haven't explored it. I know a friend of mine sent several box type turkey calls out to be engraved and the cost was quite modest at the time. This was back in '05 or so. I'll probably not invest in either tool, just sitting down to program them might remind me too much of being back in the tool shop.

One reason I like turning bowls is because I turn everything freehand. The bowl shape and details develop as the material is turned away, I'm not tied into a defined shape dictated by a dimensioned drawing. If I did that with a boat I might start building a pole boat and end up with a Gondola. [sly]

P Revicki,

Those are some fine looking decoys. The Stratford style is my favorite, simple, functional yet graceful. Can't wait to see them with some color.

Zane

Good morning, George~

Here you go - two Drake White-cheeked Pintails From the Bench of George Williams....

View attachment GW - White-cheeked Pintails.jpg

BTW: I really like that paint scheme on the bodies - truly simple but effective.

Not sure what's going on in the e-communications - but I got only the one e-mail (from your phone, I think) - even though you mentioned 2 ways of sending.

SJS

Back