Wyoming trip...

Awesome trip. Nice fish, looks like you did a proper amount of selective releasing.
You're killing me with those fish fossils. In some bands of gravel we can find shells, sponges and some other unusual looking under sea stuff, even found a shark tooth once. Makes me need to get back out and look for more.

My only complaint is why was the picture of the mother grizz with cubs such a far off shot? :)

Hope the garden survived. Mine would look like a potato chip if I left for even one week right now.

Tim

Gus is pretty selective, if it is a fish, he wants to keep it. The first fish of the trip was about a 5 pound post spawn male 'bow about as pretty colored as I've ever seen. I put him back because he was bigger and prettier than I'd want to eat and Gus started to cry when I put him back. His big rainbow in the pictures was the second fish of the trip and that satisfied him for a while after that.

South Dakota has a lot of fossils, get out there and get digging :). The fish fossils are hard to beat and very easy to dig in the quarry.

Mother grizz crossed the road 150 yards in front of us, but there were 50 cars between us and them :). Really not my idea if a wildlife experiance, but it got the job done.

We took the mower and string trimmer to the garden. Jen has been weeding and I have been tilling. Most of the garden was a 2-3' high patch of pigweed and smartweed. Everything is there, just needs to be rescued. We have been eating potatoes, summer squash and garlic scapes. We have some peas ready, but not enough to go with the Brookies that rode back with us. We are talking about a commission to remember the trip, this time would be real money. You have an abstract style trout like that brookie in you? I don't know what species yet.

Awesome, simply awesome! I am jealous!

I have family in Rapid City South Dakota. For those that have never been "Out West", you don't know what your missing. When they say "you can see a hundred miles" YOU CAN SEE A HUNDRED MILES! The fishing cannot possibly compare to anywhere else and the wildife viewing is spectacular.

I especially liked the fossil hunting. I have done a little of that. I actually have a small collection of prehistoric bones of some type. Legs and teeth and the like. Cool stuff.

Looks like that was a trip of a lifetime. It would be for me. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing!

Jon

Oh, and I'm glad you checked the water temperature before fetching your dogs. We wouldn't want to offend anyone here... HEHE!

Thanks Jon, we really had a good time. I enjoyed the rockhounding, especially since I like to wander around the wastelands of the country. I used to collect fossils as a kid, but hadn't in years. Jen has a degree in Geology and has always loved rocks and likes to drag them home, so it was a good fit for us. We brought back easily 500# of rocks to decorate the yard.

Tod
Enjoyed your pics of your trip. Evidently your rig worked out well. Man, that boy has grown!
wis boz

Thanks Boz, Gus is growing. The waders make him look more grown up than he is.

Tod,
Thanks so much for posting these. Made my morning! That is my kind of vacation. How many flat tires did you fix?

nice, about to head out for a 24 hour tuna trip. funny thing is offshore the concept of releasing basically doesn't exist to us except billfish. Anything small becomes bait, anything big (except sharks) that we don't want to eat, meets a knife and becomes chum or bait.

Great pics Tod, looks like (another) trip of a lifetime!

Truck and coach ready to go further West…
2012WY228.jpg

Were you nervious about the clearance between the canoe and trailer? Factoring in uneven ground? When I had a pickup, I had a regular clamp on cross bar at the front of the cab to use with one at the back of the bead, this moved the canoe forward, and was ultra stable with the bars so far apart.

Solar powered oil well…
2012WY1002.jpg

I love the irony here.

Welcome back

Chuck

Great pics Tod, looks like (another) trip of a lifetime!

I'll be dammed Chuck, I couldn't figgure out for the life of me why the front window of the coach kept breaking.

As a serious answer, in theory Yes the canoe can hit the coach. In practice we didn’t have a problem and it didn’t hinder us in the least. Any terrain feature like a gulley extreme enough to cause the angle at the hitch would be tough to drag a 5000# trailer through. Likewise any sort of hill that rises off a flat would be the kind of grade that you couldn't/wouldn’t tow a trailer up it. From what I've seen with this particular rig, a dip extreme enough get the kind of angle will get your attention beforehand! In the case of crossing a dip extreme enough - there is enough pucker factor that Jen would be out of the truck watching for a problem anyway (additionally, if you turn the truck in the dip you would gain a lot of clearance). In sum, we were watching for a problem and didn't find one.

Glad to be back!

Who said you weren't a rocket scientist Tod?

Glad the trip worked out for you. Lots of trout in that country even for a dry year. My son is out there this summer fighting fires, they keep doubling in size every 12 hours, so I hope there is some of Wyoming left when I get there in September.

Man, that is awesome. I am sure one day Gus will look back fondly and realize how fortunate he is to take part in such an outing that many adults never undertake. The photo's and narration were very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing Tod!

Tod,
Thanks so much for posting these. Made my morning! That is my kind of vacation. How many flat tires did you fix?

Thanks! Not a single flat, which I was glad for.

T

Who said you weren't a rocket scientist Tod?

Glad the trip worked out for you. Lots of trout in that country even for a dry year. My son is out there this summer fighting fires, they keep doubling in size every 12 hours, so I hope there is some of Wyoming left when I get there in September.

Brad, I have to thank you for your suggestion to look at the Pinedale area. We have a great time, what a neat area. Pinedale would be on my short list of retirement areas, but it was a little small and far away from the services you would want in your golden years.

We didn't see a single fire or even smoke, which was a surprise.

Man, that is awesome. I am sure one day Gus will look back fondly and realize how fortunate he is to take part in such an outing that many adults never undertake. The photo's and narration were very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing Tod!

Other than having me as a parent, he is a lucky kid.

His absolute favorite part of the trip was that we visited the hot springs in Thermopolis, and went in the mineral pool outside on a cold rainy day. Pretty cool, but a surprise that it was his favorite.

Tod you sure take some great photos of beautiful country. Looks as if everyone had a great trip I cannot wait for the upland bird quest photos later in the year

Wow, what a great trip! Your boy will never forget that experience. Kemmerer is only about 1.5 hrs away from me, I will have to take my daughter over there for some fossil hunting, she is obsessed with dinosaurs and fossils and would love to dig some on her own. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Wow, what a great trip! Your boy will never forget that experience. Kemmerer is only about 1.5 hrs away from me, I will have to take my daughter over there for some fossil hunting, she is obsessed with dinosaurs and fossils and would love to dig some on her own. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Warfield's quarry is very kid friendly. The on site manager's name is Robin and she was awesome, Gus loved her and followed her around most of the day.

http://www.fossilsafari.com/

Tod you sure take some great photos of beautiful country. Looks as if everyone had a great trip I cannot wait for the upland bird quest photos later in the year

I don't know about an upland trip this year, I'm starting to think the plan may be Alaska 2013 :)!!!!!!!!!

Back