Wyoming trip...

I don't know about an upland trip this year, I'm starting to think the plan may be Alaska 2013 :)!!!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

I'll pencil that in even there is a good chance I could be well out from civilization again. Just like now deep in the heart of the Lost Coast....but still on line thanks to modern dish technology.

Just keep an eye on the snow load this winter and if its huge like last year the rivers will be high and unfishable for the most part until July. King salmon runs are tanking bad so you will need other plans for fish, so a mid July trip might be better for reds on the Kenai system. And pinks/humpies for Gus in Hope is a pretty obvious part of the plan if I was you. A little gold panning at the museum in town.

Hitting the back country through the Denali Highway for grayling and some lake trout in the Tangle Lakes.
[/QUOTE]

Ray,

Reds would be awesome, I've caught humpies in BC, but that is it.

I was thinking of timing so I could be there to get some hunting in. Very rough thought was the dogs and I could drive mid July, Jen and Gus fly up once I got there for a month or so and then they would need to be back for the last Week of August for school/work. My schedule should allow me to be up there for a couple weeks into September. I'd love to get the dogs on some Ptarmigin and I would love to try for caribou, since I could freelance them and be able to get one home. If I remember right some seasons start August 15th, right?

T

Most birds are in early August. Bou will be up north on the haul road unless you win a drawing tag for unit 13. As a non res there are only a few spots for over the counter bou. I'll send you a pm once I am back in town with some good data.

Tod I have lived out here in the west my entire life and I can honestly say i never get tired of all the great scenery that we have. Glad you and your family had a safe trip.

What a great trip. Mfamily and I are planning a similar trip. I have yet to buy the camper. Do you have any suggestions for a family of four? Did you stay at camp grounds because it looks like you were pretty far off the beaten path. Thanks, Jeff

What a great trip. Mfamily and I are planning a similar trip. I have yet to buy the camper. Do you have any suggestions for a family of four? Did you stay at camp grounds because it looks like you were pretty far off the beaten path. Thanks, Jeff

No Jeff, no campgrounds, all our camps were dry camping (or boondocking), so no hookups, no nothing.

For someone wanting to do a similar trip I'd say get the smallest hard sided camper that is reasonible and it needs good ground clearance. Quality of camper construction varies a lot and most are poorly constructed, so you probably want to do some research. Ed Askew suggested buying the ratings information from RV Consumer Group and I'm glad we did, it really helped up sift through the hundreds fo brands and thousands of models, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Layouts don't vary a whole lot among makers, so once you figgure out a few brands and the layout you want buy one. Most of our camps were in bear country and your food does need to be in a hard sided camper or your vehicle (otherwise a ticket), so pop-ups and hybrids are not bear safe unless you turtle.

T

Back