APRIL What's on Your Workbench

Thanks for the compliments.

Here it is done. I painted the eyes, aged the wood area around the painted area and framed it in some old barn wood. Now Becky is really attached to it. I am lucky I painted a second one and have some barn wood left over or my friend who originally commissioned me to do this wouldn't be getting a painting.

How much do you think I should charge? I am always bad at pricing my own work. I always devalue it!

IMAG1411-1_zps5bed24f6.jpg

Last edited:
David, I enjoyed what you had to say and then what you did to commemorate both events. Well done!
Al

Dave-

That crate painting is really neat. I like that a lot. Where did you get the wood? How did you frame it from behind? Do you mind showing a picture of that?

Dani

Thank you for the kind words. It has been a bit of therapy that has really sparked a new passion...

Dave-

That crate painting is really neat. I like that a lot. Where did you get the wood? How did you frame it from behind? Do you mind showing a picture of that?

Dani

Dani, I will see if I can take a few pics. I have a few that I am getting ready to glue up. I can document it if you like!

Yes PLEASE! I'm also interested in how you aged the wood. Thanks a ton in advance for sharing

Dani

got yard work all done, spring salad garden in and gutters cleaned out for pending storms the next four days. After all that was done I had some time in the afternoon yesterday and some today.

yesterdays bird, a little green wing to go in my rig.
84A7BAAD_zps0d7a5b2b.jpg

a rough out of today's bird I got to work on a little after dinner. blue wing drake off of a pattern I drew up. Wood is some of the last pieces of a whole batch of bad basswood I bought a couple years ago. spalted to heck, punky wood and just not fun to carve. I think the guy I bought it from dropped the trees on the ground and left them in a pile with the bark on. When I called to order some he cut up all of the "seasoned" wood he had already dropped. I am happy he quit sawing wood and even happier to find a new mill that prides itself in the quality of wood. Best thing is they are the same price.

80914B8D_zpsc4923008.jpg

Yes PLEASE! I'm also interested in how you aged the wood. Thanks a ton in advance for sharing

Dani

aging the wood is a bit of a play on words that I used to describe making the wood look old. I have used stain in the past but I found that if I take a very small amount of paint mixed to a color I like (small amount of black and small amount of brown) and then add a bunch of mineral spirits/paint thinner it makes a wash that will soak into the wood but I get more control than stain. I can layer it over and over to build up to the color or density I like and it is predictable, What you see is that you get!

Rough cut top profiles on the coot heads, belt sanded the neck joints

FB5C1B9B-E2F7-4C14-8860-28708F12A745-15498-00001478AEF1EA28.jpg

Made some matches (that's half of them on the bench)

50A09EA8-D1BA-40E3-81B8-CC057E955538-15498-00001478B8F0A648.jpg

Glued up a little over a third of them (didn't feel like digging more clamps out of the basement)

B7B11295-AF4C-4C2C-B68C-F6CC9308CBC6-15498-00001478C07F3164.jpg

I like the antler call Bob. Almost better is the Ron Swanson quote, only reason to watch that show is to see what he says.

Those are nice Bob.....Does the antler give them a unique sound?

Either way I like how they look!

Last edited:
Those a cool Bob... but I can smell the antler turning stink from here. :)

Tom,
Great profile on that bird. I no longer make guesses as to species. hahaha

Tim

Back