August - What's new on your workbench?

Steve Sanford

I just completed another Whimbrel. This one is a donation to a fundraiser for the Pattersquash Gunners Association - so they can "Put the Shack Back". Pattersquash has a long history and is unique in the US - in that the club leases the gunning rights to much of Bellport Bay (the eastern end of Great South Bay) from the Town of Brookhaven (who were granted the rights from the King of England back in the day).

The gunning traditions at Pattersquash are well-described by Eugene Connett in Duck Shooting Along the Atlantic Tidewater. I have hunted there as a guest several times over the years - and count numerous members among my friends. Hunts there have always begun and ended at "the shack" - a great little bay house on Pelican Island - until Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy. Most of Pelican Island was eroded away when Old Inlet became a brand-new inlet and carried the shack away. Pattersquash has gotten all the permissions in place to build another shack (in a different location) and is now raising funds for the build. This Whimbrel is my way of contributing. It's oils on Basswood - with a Hickory bill and an aluminum "leg".

PattersquashWhimbrel-fullaway_zpsf4c8b4de.jpg

PattersquashWhimbrel-closeup_zpsba16501d.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Well done, Steve on that Whimbrel. You are to be commended for not only this fine work but also in donating it to raise funds. I happen to like that name of Pattersquash!
Al

Steve love it and for a great cause. Thanks for posting. I got quite a few things on the bench but its my busy season at work so they will have to stay there for now.

Pat,

What a difference that wash makes! Love the stretched neck teal with the bill up. Great pose.

Steve....another truly gorgeous bird....the curved billed shorebirds...the large one...have always been my favorites....again the subtleness of your paint is perfect for the subject imo.....
Steve

Rich~

As I understand it, the new shack will be on Quanch - which is another boggy islet - further west but still in Bellport Bay - where Wilbur Corwin's original gunning operation was before the Pattersquash Gun Club was founded. So - in a way - it's back home.

All the best,

SJS

I know that I havnt posted anything in a very long time. Sometimes "life" gets in the way.
Here are a couple of pictures of my first hen decoy.

Nice Dolphin....how big is it?...
Charlie....good to see your name on the board again...

Steve

Last edited:
Back