Dog appreciation pictures.

This is Rumour. (full name is Red Hot Rumour lol) He recently came to live with me and this morning we were walking across the frozen slough to the point in the distance. It is one of my favorite local spots and it is never to soon for the pup to check it out.
The second photo is my wife and I with Holly (black) and Drake (yellow). While Holly was a great companion, she never had Drake's passion for feathers in the mouth. She retrieved ducks but spent the time in between them trying to get the taste out of her mouth. Drake lived to hunt. It was all that really mattered to him. I miss the three of them every day.
View attachment IMG_2252 (4).JPGView attachment original (2).JPG

What great companions to have that want to share that duck hunt with us. All of us with 4 legged critters are very lucky, indeed!
Al

This is Chili.
View attachment 11-18-07Timetoheadhome.jpg

View attachment Chili and me.jpg

View attachment Chili and the greenhead.jpg

View attachment CIAChiliInAction.jpg

View attachment greenheadday.jpg

View attachment Gun dog.jpg

View attachment Oh so proud.jpg

View attachment Sweet memories.jpg

Habi took over retrieving for Chili when she retired. I'm glad that I hunted Habi with Chili for 2 years. It really paid off.

View attachment _MG_3765.JPG

View attachment _MG_3861.JPG

I'm glad this thread generated so much enthusiasm especially because the end of hunting seasons tend to be a downer.

A couple more pics of my boy shadow...

These pics were taken over Thanksgiving week. We drove to Kansas, stayed in a state park cabin for $45/night and hunted state and walk in areas. He found Quail on several occasions and I failed to connect every time. First, wild covey of quail scares the heck out of you, you catch your breath, and now try to aim at one of the 8 fast flying, weaving, tiny targets going in all different directions. I got the stink eye from him on several occasions. I can't wait to try again next year!

FYI, Kansas mud on section roads is no joke! I was probably hauling a couple hundred pounds of mud in my wheel wells at times. On one occasion I thought I was going to be really stuck but kept chugging slowly and got through. After that there were several occasions I turned around and found a different route.
View attachment Shadow and Truck.jpgView attachment Shadow Grass.jpgView attachment Shadow Tailgate.jpgView attachment Shadow Milo.jpgView attachment Sleepy Dog.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures from Kansas Charles, and a great and fun thread. I was in Saskatchewan a few years back, and can relate to driving on muddy section roads. Glad you had a good trip and adventure.

Brad Bortner said:
My 10 year old male, Brant, made the big time yesterday. He will be raising his retrieving fee to half my sandwich now.

Nice Brad, I sure do miss having my old black dog around.

Brad Bortner said:
My 10 year old male, Brant, made the big time yesterday. He will be raising his retrieving fee to half my sandwich now.

...and with a fat Scaup in his mouth! Greater?

MLBob Furia said:
Brad Bortner said:

...and with a fat Scaup in his mouth! Greater?

You bet Bob. 75% of the scaup I shoot or are shot over my rig are greaters. My part of the flyway gets its scaup out of Alaska and those are primarily greaters.

Mark, Cabot is a handsome handsome fella!

Way to go Brad and Brant!!!

Brad Bortner: If I was Brant's agent I'd tell him to hold out until he gets a sandwich of his own! Congrats on getting the pic published!!!

Back