March workbench thread.

Lloyd~

Really nice birds! Very fluid and graceful!

Sugar pine heads? What are the bodies carved from?

All the best,

SJS

Thank you guys. My mentor, Bill Pinches has been working with me. What a wonderful teacher and friend! The heads are sugar pine and bodies are redwood. (I love how sugar pine carves) I started this project in Jan, and my goal is to have 6 + birds ready for Nov. I've learned so much from Bill over the past few months and still have so much to learn.

Lloyd.....great Brant....when I saw your post I thought "those look familiar" but even though I have one of Bill's Brant I didn't make the connection....seeing his name was "lights on"....how lucky you are to have a carver with his abilities to carve with.......and clearly from those birds you had the talent to start with cause those birds are sweet....looking forward to seeing them finished...

Steve

Wow Lloyd. Looks great. I could see the Bill influence in the heads before you mentioned his name. I have a few of his black cork birds that I hunt over but I wish I had some solid bodies. I love the birds you've completed. I'd like to try that pattern. You have to post the painted birds.

[/QUOTE]
Bob-the perfection in detail on this is rediculous. It makes me want to burn mine.[/QUOTE]

Kevin, Thanks for the kind words. Please don't be intimidated by all the fine work you'll see posted on this site. Remember, all of us start as beginners.

Just keep "layering" information, & carving what you know.
Like Wooster used to tell me all the time: "Carve with a dead duck on your lap."

Like Wooster used to tell me all the time: "Carve with a dead duck on your lap."[/QUOTE]

Bob

there are a lot of great carvers on this site but achieving your level of artistry with a paint brush is something few of us can hope to achieve. .

sometime during my hiatus from carving my wife quietly got rid of all my dead ducks from the freezer.
On the bright side I have motivation for next duck season. I have to "stock up".

Last edited:
Bob-the perfection in detail on this is rediculous. It makes me want to burn mine.[/QUOTE]

Kevin, Thanks for the kind words. Please don't be intimidated by all the fine work you'll see posted on this site. Remember, all of us start as beginners.

Just keep "layering" information, & carving what you know.
Like Wooster used to tell me all the time: "Carve with a dead duck on your lap."[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob. Just as humbling is coming to the strongsville odcca show this weekend.

However, and hour watching Willy paint taught me more than I would have figured out in years!

Last edited:
.......sometime during my hiatus from carving my wife quietly got rid of all my dead ducks from the freezer.

Mike,

Now that one made me smile. I could relate some funny stories about my wife not being thrilled about assorted "duck parts" being stored in the freezer. Hey, back then when money for supplies was a big issue, sawing off "study bills" for freezer storage was an inexpensive alternative to buying cast study-bills.
Wooster did a courtship display ruddy-drake for the Worlds one year. In order to draw the pattern, he froze a ruddy in the position he wanted, and then he used to ferry it from the freezer to his workshop and back while he was working.

Kevin,
Willy's class = one more layer. Now you just have to be willing to spend the "TOB" (time-on-brush). Keep notebooks; write stuff down; save feather samples; record paint mixes; keep a folder on each species you do. I still refer to scraps of paper I may have stuck in a folder back as far back as the '70's.

View attachment billdata 003.jpg
Every time I sit down to start painting another bird, I check the notes on color mixes I've made over the years in the margins (and over most of the available space) in this book :
View attachment thebook1 (600 x 399).jpgView attachment thebook4 (600 x 399).jpg
The real trick is to keep enjoying yourself!

Bob, Another great decoy, but your little book of secrets is what is really cool! What a huge amount of knowledge you've taken the time to save.

This ones in honor of national PI day, LOL!

All~

Not much carving this month - my When Broadbill was King duties at the March 7 LI Decoy Collectors Show stole most of my time. Hope to make some sawdust later today. I have already posted the Decoy Cards I painted and the Drake Broadbill I carved. I also painted this watercolor. We gave a framed print of it to each of our 5 "movie stars" in the documentary film:

C%20-%20BROADBILL%20PAIR%204%20-%20CAPTION_zps0vs3kgn3.jpg

Our centerpiece was an enlarged bay chart with 49 rigs located on it. Each rig was ID'd with one of these (each silhouette was cut out then pasted onto the chart):

HOWELL_zpsvtpyaywh.jpg

B%20Nicoll%20Cove_zpsyjecs7wd.jpg

This watercolor was an "also ran" for the gift.

C%20%20Gift%202%20001_zpsmuv45vlv.jpg

I painted these Swimmers for our main banner - made by Vista Print. I "stitched" several poses together to make the 8-foot run. I was a bit surprised when Vista Print wanted me to verify my work with a screen image about 2.5 inches wide......

Banner%20-%20snapshot_zpshy7sbyjp.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Back