MAY What's On Your Workbench?

Bob~

Gorgeous in every respect. The paint is wonderful. Is the "spatter" on the face and body feathers done with an air brush?

All the best,

SJS

Awesome Bob! Doc would be proud.

Brandon - Doc Baumgartner would be as close to a UP Decoy Style as you could get. What a great history and heritage. And, he made great decoys! Something to think about and pattern after...

Bob - Awesome widgeon. Looks familiar... Pat

Last edited:
Is the "spatter" on the face and body feathers done with an air brush?
SJS

Steve, These are my spatter brushes:

Old toothbrushes and some Kemper spatter tools (red throws fine; green throws medium; Kempers throw a good mix):

View attachment brushes (600 x 399).jpg
This one is the "widgeon brush." Picked it up a long time ago on the road when I forgot my toothbrush at home. Just happens to throw the perfect size spatter for the larger dot overlays required to pull off a hen or drake widgeon. If I ever lose it I'm in trouble!

View attachment Widhen 006 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment Widhen 005 (600 x 399).jpg

Bob,
You get some great movement in those frond decoys. That looks so realistic the divers will probably land on the other side of the spread from him.

Tim

Brandon, Glad you like the blocks. As you can tell by the article in decoy magazine I upgraded the paint pattern a bit . I think you should have a good source for cedar up your way. If I can help with a pattern or something let me know.

The problem with painting a lot is you run out of decoys to paint. So with the mergansers wrapping up in paint and the last batch of "ward" Cans moving into the paint stage I figured it was time to start on the next rig. At least this is a small one. We get a fair number of black ducks in this area for nesting and on the migration. So today I started a rig of seven.

The black cork was given to me at strongsville by Chuck. I just had to promise to carve something neat out of it. My very first decoy was black cork and I have not touched it since. Should be fun to mix it in with the cedar decoys.

va9e2ata.jpg

u6y4asuz.jpg

Man it was nice to carve outside. Rough carved three before I had to call it a day.

va5abe4e.jpg

Brandon, Glad you like the blocks. As you can tell by the article in decoy magazine I upgraded the paint pattern a bit . I think you should have a good source for cedar up your way. If I can help with a pattern or something let me know.

Bob,
some bills are on the list but i dont think it will be before this season. I might need to take you up on the pattern offer just so its on file though.

Very nice setup Sean. Got the music and the TV covered. I am sure that there is a fridge with some beer in it in the corner somewhere.

Do you use all the spoke shaves or is it just a collection?

Sean is your body going to be ok working on decoys where the sun is shining through the windows? I pictured you as a modern day cave dweller.

The black cork was given to me at strongsville by Chuck. I just had to promise to carve something neat out of it

I think you misheard me...I believe I said you had to carve something for me out of it HA! Actually I think I just said you had to post a picture of what you carved...

Best
Chuck

Thanks Sean! That is a good problem to have. I could benefit from some improvement in my "neatness"...

I appreciate you being a good example... Pat

Tom , after 23 years underground . It was time to move . Never knew how much stuff I had
Mike, there is a refridge. under one of the benches fill with beer. That the secret to carving.

Mike, there is a refridge. under one of the benches fill with beer. That the secret to carving.

Never doubted it. Need to look over your stuff soon. Got the itch for another Sutton decoy

Back