My Arizona trip a long pictorial.

Pete McMiller

I posted this account on another site of my recent trip to Arizona with a bunch of traditional archers for our second annual Javelina/deer hunt. I left Wisconsin on Dec 30th and arrived back on January 28th.

Back home now and able to get a few pictures of our PBS gathering posted.

While not the first meat in camp, this Blacktailed Jackrabbit was a close second on Jan. 3rd. I was out with Paul and his Grandson, Nick when this jackrabbit jumped up from 3 ft. away and made the mistake of thinking it was hidden underneath a mesquite tree 9 yds away - it wasn't. Had him for dinner a few days later and after braising in chicken stock, bay leaf and thyme all afternoon it was 'fall off the bone' tender.

That particular day Mike Pfander had taken us to a spot he had been in and seen pigs. Paul spotted 4-5 feeding across a canyon and Nick put the sneak on them with me as back-up. Unfortunately by the time we got in their neighborhood, they were gone.

As Rick mentioned, the weather the first 10 days was a challenge. 4 days of 30-40 mph winds followed by 3 days of rain, followed by 2 days of snow that totaled 6-7" of heavy wet snow and then 4-5 days to melt. The temps at night were mostly below freezing with one night down to 22 so trying to do anything in the mornings after the snow besides glassing was really pointless, just too noisy.

Hmmm a little dusting.

NOT funny!

One of the weapons I brought with me was a 28 ga shotgun for the quail that were supposed to be in the area. I didn't get much of a chance to use it as I usually had a bow in my hand. The day of the snow storm we were outside admiring natures handy work and Nick says, "Pete, there's your quail" and sure enough there was a covey of Gambels near camp. It was a fun respite and Nick was a passable retriever. Even got a dove in the bunch. Not enough to feed the camp but enough for me.

Later in my stay when it was just Paul and myself in camp I did jump several stock ponds one afternoon and brought back 2 Greenwinged Teal for the pot. Duck breasts sauteed in bacon fat and finished with orange sauce were fit for a king - sorry no pics.

Rick already told the story so here is the evidence of Roger and his pig.

After all the snow on Friday the 8th it took until Monday morning before Roger felt the roads were dry and frozen enough for him and Colleen to leave. Shortly after they left Paul took off to get Nick back home and that left me the sole survivor for the time being.

The next morning I figured I'd take my Rokon up the road about 3-4 miles to an old corral where several of us had been seeing a few deer. It was nippy in the morning before light so I bundled up and took off. Before I was half way there my cheeks felt like they were being frostbitten - not only was it cold but the wind had started howling at 35-40mph. Finally got to my vantage point to start glassing just at daylight - I couldn't hold the binos steady the wind was blowing so hard. At that point the thought of a hot breakfast overcame my desire to endure the weather and I headed back to camp the back way. I was poking along the two track about a half a mile from camp and spooked 4 pigs feeding out of the wind in a drainage next to the road. They headed up the ridge while jumped off the bike and grabbed my bow. Didn't take but 10 yds before I realized there was no way I was going to catch them. Back on the bike I ran down the road about 250 yds and stopped near a cut in the ridge. I figured that it wasn't likely those pigs wanted to be up on top of that ridge in the wind any more than I did. Sure enough I had just grabbed my bow and there they were up on top of the cut heading my way. As I moved up to intercept them, 3 turned around and took off. The one that was left was standing sentry and just staring off into space listening. The wind was so loud that she never heard me easy up the draw to about 15-18 yds. and take the shot. She only went 4-5 ft. after an instant heart attack.

All in all a great trip. Yes, the weather was an endurance test sometimes but it's one thing we can't control so we just try and be prepared. Very beautiful country. Saw a few deer, not a lot, but enough to keep it interesting. Had a couple of stalks that never went to the finish but that's the way it goes. I hope to be back next year for more Javelina chasing. Here are a few more random pics of the trip.

tried taking a couple of pics with my phone thru my binos - pretty cool- eh? Neat thing is that I can zoom in the pics on my phone with additional magnification.

Manzanita bush in bloom.

Well Dale, the nickname is 'skunk pig' because they have gland on the underside of the skin about 5-6" up the back from the tail that smells like skunk. You would think this would affect the meat but it really doesn't - as long as you skin, clean and process the meat correctly. I am very conscious of this and do my best. The boar I shot last year had a very slight odor that I noticed but apparently no one else. The sow this year had no off odor at all. We made grilled tenderloin and backstrap Fajitas this year that were fantastic. I made a Chili Verde last year from the front shoulders of the boar and my buddies said it was the best meal I had ever made them - and I cook for them a lot.

Basically it is a light meat like pork though not nearly as fatty. I find it to be very good. Their diet is prickly pear cactus (Nopales in your mexican grocery) and various roots, grasses, etc. - all good stuff.

Cool trip, all around.

I grew up shooting a traditional recurve. Never shot anything big, but I did get a few rabbits and plenty of woodchucks.

Thanks for taking us along. I would like to go on a few trips like that before I check out. Maybe muzzle loader hunt though. I don't bow hunt anymore.

I have a friend who killed one with a bare knife once. Dogs cornered it, he charged in. Not for me either. Of course, he's about 6'-3" and 400 pounds.

I too, was curious about how the javelina tastes.

Jon

It's interesting Jon, I've always been an archer. First as a recurve shooter than compound for 35 years and back to a longbow in 2009. I recently had my copy of Bugle (RMEF) delivered and after reading through it realized that in no way do I ever envision myself hunting elk or any other big game with a rifle again. Is it a course I have chosen OR has it chosen me? In either case I am content with my harvest and the means to it. Hunting is so much more than the final shot and my arrow is plenty to do the job when the end is nye.

Also, even though I reference them as pigs - they really aren't. Collared Peccary is the proper name. Look like pigs and act like them but according to the experts are a totally different species. Javelina in a wild (ie non agricultural) environment rarely exceed about 50 to maybe 65 lbs. About 35 lbs dressed would be the norm. Still, after hearing their teeth clack together at 5 yds., wouldn't want to tackle one with just a knife.

Hopefully, in April I will be able to report on a successful feral hog hunt I'm going on in Florida where the game may weigh more than the hunters.

Pete,

On the scent...

Does it get all over you? I know there are scents that take days to wash off of your hands. I wouldn't mind giving them a try. Sounds fun.

Dale

Pete,
I really enjoyed the pictures and your post. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I get to travel quite more then most my age for hunting but you made me jealous of both the location and the length of time.

Thanks Jim,

Next? In keeping with my mantra of the past few years "always have your next trip planned and paid for before returning from the current one", I will be heading to Florida in a couple of weeks that will include more camping, fly fishing and 3 days of feral hog hunting. Not a ton on my schedule and that's by design. I need to be back here around the end of March is my only criteria.

wonderful pictures.

Is there any story about that rock which appears to be balanced on a point?

thank you for sharing.

Apparently it's been like that for years. It's not exactly on a single point but there sure isn't much holding it up.

Dang Pete, that looks like quite the adventure. Very nice of mother nature to offer her services up to you for keeping your food cold. Looks awfully chilly.

Did you have to get a permit for hunting javelina in AZ? Like a draw kind of thing or just go to the store and say I wanna get a license for hunting javelina and you can get it right then and there like that?

Dani,

Javelina tags are distributed by a draw that I have participated in the past two years. That said, there are plenty of left over tags available so you can basically go to the store and get one for the management unit you want to hunt in. I think in Arizona you are only allowed to take two Javelina a year and they must be in different seasons and zones. The archery season is usually Jan 1-21st.

Yes, the ice in my cooler that I brought from Wisconsin lasted for over 3 weeks. It would have lasted even longer if I would have left the cooler open on some of the nights it got down to the mid 20's.

Back