Reelfoot lake Incident

Eric, I think all true sportsmen want to see violators held accountable. You're not alone. We are all equally frustrated. That frustration is no small reason for the changes that have been proposed for the blind assignments. It has been common practice among some groups to offer very large sums of money for certain public blinds but it's a difficult case to prove- the person drawn has about 10,000 reasons to lie in some cases. The other issue is guiding (and blind buying for guiding) that happens in some of the blinds on public areas. The ones doing it are often well connected- makes it tough for the common man.

Nope, legitimate question.

As noted, dementia is a range of illnesses and some do present violent / paranoia episodes.

Michael McCord said:
Eric, I think all true sportsmen want to see violators held accountable. You're not alone. We are all equally frustrated. That frustration is no small reason for the changes that have been proposed for the blind assignments. It has been common practice among some groups to offer very large sums of money for certain public blinds but it's a difficult case to prove- the person drawn has about 10,000 reasons to lie in some cases. The other issue is guiding (and blind buying for guiding) that happens in some of the blinds on public areas. The ones doing it are often well connected- makes it tough for the common man.

I wasn't aware guiding was illegal. Heck, we both hunted with the same guide last year and I thought one of the blinds we were guided in was a public one. But as for catching lawbreakers how is different than any other law agency trying to catch and prosecute? How hard can it be to have an undercover agent buy a blind? Or random checks of occupants to see the "owner" is present or paperwork in hand?

Again, not trying to beat a dead horse but I'm really tired of piles of regulations trying to stop the few that abuse the system. Even with new rules in place will they stop it or will they find another way to get what they want? In my own state there is no way to ban a hunter from using the WMAs even if convicted on countless game violations. Think of how things might change if someone was given a 5 or 10 year, or even a lifetime ban from hunting a WMA for breaking the rules or abusing others. This more and more regs solution sucks, I'd rather throw the book at the losers bringing on all this grief.

Eric

Last edited:
rfberan said:
There is a dementia, Lewy Body Dementia, that can have intermittent violent episodes. It is more rapidly progressive than Alzheimer's and differs also in that it has periods of lucidness. I watched a relative suffer from it and he would have times where he knew he had a problem. It was sad. He would have horrible hallucinations and on one occasion chased his wife with a knife. The longevity from diagnosis is much shorter and it is often misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's.

I am in no way implying this is related to this incident, simply wanted to answer your question as to a casual relationship between dementia and violence.

This is now the second time in my life that I have heard this term, the first was 4 years ago when my father was diagnosed with it and put in a home for his (and my mother's) safety and treatment. He had no fits of violence but man was he out there. He'd say things like "So how is duck season going? Have the brant showed up yet? Kids at school ok? Listen, I've got to keep this short, the government called and they need me for a secret mission with Elvis!"......
And then as quickly as it came, it left. And he's back home and as "normal" as he used to be at 80 years old.....he's slower and a little more feeble, but none of that weird talk.....

Autopsy results confirm Mr. Crabtree's testimony on the events that transpired that resulted in his partner's murders at the hands of Mr. Volwell were correct The medical examiner could find no evidence of any brain abnormalities for Volwell either.

https://wreg.com/news/autopsy-results-released-for-men-involved-in-reelfoot-lake-shooting-da-finds-no-basis-for-criminal-charges/

Truly a horrible tragedy. This is a long read but seems to tie the loose ends of a senseless loss.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/deep-dives/duck-hunters-killed-reelfoot-lake-tennessee/

Lewy Body Dementia still has beta-amyloid plaque build-up associated with it, like Alzheimers dementia, which should have been evident during the autopsy on Mr. Volwell. Assuming it was very early onset, his antidepressant Rx could have played either a signifcant role through impact on his dementia progression and/or his recent initiation of an SSRI he was prescribed in late 2020 may have played a significant role in his behavior. The shooting occurred in January 25.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16648321/

Last edited:
What a sad story.

I read the article and it cleared up a bunch of internet rumors but some of it added to the confusion. The guy who survived said he jumped into the shooters boat and started motoring towards the landing. Then later in the article it said they found the shooters boat back by the blind with the moor still running in neutral. It is this, and a couple of other things that still didn't add up for me. Maybe I read it wrong whcih could easily be the case.

I think you misread the article about which boat they got into. they got into their own boat that had the 870 cripple shooting gun laying in the bottom. the shooters boat was found a short distance away.

Derek Thompson said:
I think you misread the article about which boat they got into. they got into their own boat that had the 870 cripple shooting gun laying in the bottom. the shooters boat was found a short distance away.

I easily could have. I did a double take at that part and a couple others. I feel so bad for the survivor who witnessed it all. May God grant him peace and soothe his soul.

Mark

Back