September Workbench

Everyone's work is so beautiful. Starting from the top of page one all the way to the bottom of page three there is not one ugly duck. So much talent on this site. Well, I'm still trying to learn down here in Florida. These are 25th and 26th birds. Not nearly as nice as the rest of the decoys on here, but I'm proud of them just the same.

and this is my first spread of birds. Teal season starts in 2 weeks!

Jeffrey~

Your pride in your birds is very well-justified! I cannot help but think how much you've learned by carving so many different species - am I right at 7? Keep up the great work!

All the best,

SJS

'Tis a fine time of year,

SJS

You two guys nailed it with that statement. It is delightful. I once remember asking my father what he thought of retirement and he said, "I love having 6 Saturdays and one Sunday to look forward to each week."
Me too!
Al

'Tis, Indeed! Ain't retirement grand?

Al & Tom~

I think if you do it right, the "to do" list remains infinitely long - but the sweet thing is, no one else sets your priorities for you.

All the best,

SJS

Glad you like them steve . I was pleased with the way they came together . My first cork birds . I used val oil one the woodie and epoxy sealed the mallard . I think im going to go with epoxy for the rig . i still have time to think about that. Alot of work ahead before i get to that . Alot of other stuff going on at the same time -busy time of year-

Here is a post for Vince Pagliaroli

I just finished the GW - Hollow Sugar Pine & Oils. Gonna rig it, and it's ready to GO.

Hollow Telephone Pole Cedar & Sugar Pine, "Old School" Blackhead - Sealed and ready to paint.

Bluebill3small_zpsf476fe64.jpg

sleepygreenwingtealsmall_zps00ee5a58.jpg

Last edited:
Bob~

Hmmmm....I never realized that Ruddies HAD eyes......

I really like the way the bodies flare out toward the water - great rig!

All the best,

SJS

great work everyone

the ruddy ducks are cool as heck, a little Gregory influence on that paint. I like it.

very simple rig of buffy, I did not spend a lot of time carving or painting. It shows but they are true simple gunning birds that will go right into several rigs and will be gunned.

B1367CCE_zps9be02e08.jpg
[/URL]

Haha. What do you want me to bring besides the two I owe you?

Thought about bringing a dozen only mostly cans

The ruddys are a mix of styles. Pats paint style is perfect for the back. I have a ruddy sstudy skin in the shop and that back feathering is so random I decided to borrow a technique from the 1 inch chip brush master. The sides are done using a sponged base coat and feathers outlined with a fan blender. I made a bunch of bluebills earlier in the year emulating the style of Doc Baumgartner (MI) and liked that body shape so I drew up a pattern that included the slope in the breast and body. They should hunt.

As a new member of the forum I am incredibly impressed with the carvers here. Sean Sutton those are gorgeous gadwalls. Best to All, Don

Here are the painted birds - for a local fundraiser:

Upland Sandpiper - I tried more of a gunning style in oils.

ASA-UplandSandpiper5_zps4d1d528e.jpg

This Wood Duck Flyer is about 9" LOA- also oi;ls on White Pine:

ASA-WoodDuck3_zpsd58a8145.jpg

Like a model airplane, these Flyers can stay mounted on the base or hung from the rafters. Staple is driven deep into the back for the latter.

ASA-WoodDuck2_zps040f38e6.jpg

Now, back to the Scooter rehab......

SJS

Back