September - Workbench

Haven't posted here in awhile but we are still going strong. Latest off the bench is this Drake Ringer headed for my rig.

Well, September is off to a strong start.

Spencer - That's probably my favorite of all of your birds.

Jode - That dead "mount" is awesome. I've seen a few of those and I don't think I'll be getting any more real mounts done.

Here's a nice set of just completed, inlaid English Walnut calls that didn't quite make it into the classifieds.

View attachment EngWalSpecorderJCH (399 x 600).jpg

September looks to be off to a good start for all the carvers, and early teal & goose are opening all over the country. Doesn't get much better than that.

In honor of the start of teal season - "throwback" pictures of a couple of frond-bluewings that were favorites.
View attachment BWDrfrondBD 002.jpg

View attachment HitchBW2 (600 x 402).jpg

Last edited:
Spencer, very nice work!! I agree your technique lends character and reminds the viewer of just how much time and effort go into a decoy. I have a pair of Jim Wicks ring necks that have chip carved heads sitting in a friend's duck camp. They have quite the patina from hunters picking them up and "fondling" them over the years!

Thanks Hank....;-)

Bob, love the variety!

A couple more shot of the group. Since it seem like a "teal" themed Month.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind words! After a long absence, I luckily remembered my password and figured out the picture posting. I will try to keep posting some more photos of my carving/restoration work. Great work everybody!

Spencer

Jode, it does seem right to post teal. I just finished these. I actually just finished and am about to rig 40 or so decoys. And so with my first ever surgery... a knee surgery laying me up for a few days(I hope), I'll be posting more from "the bench".
Tip of the hat to Mbob..cool frond, and Steve on the beans' and to Geoff on the form and blending, And Spencer I really like the woodie. It has a great gunning rig feel. Willy as always nice ring necked!! Always the favorite thread.
View attachment image.jpg

[inline]

Very nice guys.

Jode - Sweet!

Cool Wood Duck Spencer.

Haven't been posting much anymore but I thought I'd try to get in on the teal month. Two different type greenwings.

GW_zpsvhkskgmp.jpg

GW%20Hen_zpslvjw7uyv.jpg

Derek, great to see your teal....love them both but the hens paint has nice depth to it. One of these years I'm gonna team up with Matt M and pay you a vist for some nice blue wings!

Last edited:
Frank nice Blu wings. Do you get them in Maine or do you have a trip planned
Colin. neat looking mallard what did you use for the curl?
Phil

Back