Whatcha Listening To?

This song, in my best estimation, was a bit overlooked in its day. Like others I have shared it more than stands the test of time and probably deserves more play. Great lyrics with a touch of Elvis Costello.

Memorial Day May 26th 2014 my father passed away. The man I knew had been mostly gone for a couple years before that. What I wouldn't give to once again sit in the dark with him waiting for the marsh to come alive.

Tim

I wonder how many people think that song is about a break-up instead of a tribute to the writer's father? It is a wonderful song. My father is 88. I dread the day...

I guess I've been on a bit of a New Order kick the past few months. I don't ever recall hearing the below until a few months ago. Released in 1981 I would have been in middle school, and it is a bit too sophisticated for the radio stations I listened to. Never heard it on college radio years later either. But let me tell you something, the past 43 years has not diminished it. I think this is one song that plays well no matter what year it is and if it was released today would find its way to the charts. Well, all the country stuff kids listen to today may make that a false statement, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Been listening to the three King's : Albert, Freddie, and BB.

Don,

I'm right there with ya. Plus a whole lot more. I'm in so deep ain't no gettin' out anytime soon.

Been carving down in the cellar shop to beat the heat. When Flood Down In Texas - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, live version on BLUES GOLD came on the box I had to put the rasp down. OH MY! What the **** planet was that man on? When ya rasp a decoy ya gotta have rhythm but some times ya gotta stop and let the music take ya away....

Stackin' the CD's now for todays work. GET ON BOARD Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder, SUPER SESSION, and LOVEJOY,ILL in the stack so far. Gonna be a good 1st day of Summer.

SRV was all the rage amongst my fraternity brothers. More than a few road tripped to see him live in New Orleans. He was killed in the helicopter crash a few months after I graduated. Clearly had that not happened he was going to be a generational talent and who knows how many albums and tours and armies of fans.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was the first concert I ever attended. He was opening for the Moody Blues, who had a comeback album with a radio hit out at the time. None of us had ever even heard of Stevie. Completely stole the show from the headliners, playing solo to a bunch of Maine teenagers and aging hippies in a minor league hockey arena--a crowd expecting something very different from what he played. Never seen anything like it, before or since. Absolute magic.

Tim

Jeez, you just made my brain's ear collateral damage when you unleashed one of the most annoying songs ever released on poor Carl. I mean really, did a Flock of Seagulls video deserve a Men Without Hates response? That there is some Genghis Khan like revenge.
"That there is some Genghis Khan like revenge." ---

Genghis Khan would likely endorse The Hu from Mongolia:

Wolf Totem

Khun Sureg

Enjoy!

Awesome interview. I've listened to Stephan Jenkins since 1997 and have never bored of their music. It makes you think the whole time you listen.

John Mayall recently passed away. For those of us long in the tooth there need be no explanation as to his importance, and impact on the music many of us so much enjoy.

I'm always on the look out for something different. Never heard of Janiva Magness.

She's a blues singer, and on this one, it's a John Fogerty song ... Lodi.

Really like it.

In 1992 Michelle and I were driving home after visiting friends and family in her hometown and my college town of Mobile. There was a rock station in Birmingham, 95 Rock, that I could pick up about an hour south of Birmingham and listen to an equidistance north of Birmingham. On Sunday nights they had a show that aired music you would never find in the ordinary rotation. I loved it. On this particular night they played a song that just leaped into my ears. I memorized the band name and on the following Monday called a local CD store only to learn the CD was just about non-existent in the US. The band was from Stockholm and weren't popular in the US. To make matters worse their record label went belly up and the CD wasn't in print. In a last-ditch effort, I called 95 Rock and talked to the DJ and asked him if he knew where to get the CD. He gave me the number to some hole-in-the wall CD store in B'ham that just happened to have a copy on the shelf. A few days later it was in my possession. Thirty-two years later I still find it listen worthy.

This just popped up in my YouTube feed. 428 boats in 43 years. Wow. Pretty cool video with Sam Devlin.

Last edited:
Back