Whatcha Listening To?

Eric Patterson

Staff member
I totally forgot this song existed. Stumbled across it today and am much more impressed now than when it came out in 1992. Some songs don't age well. This one got way better.

Blind Melon Change - YouTube

So I'm editing this thread making it one that folks can add to whenever they feel the need to share music. I think everyone that knows me well enough gets I listen to music, a lot. Sometimes I'll hear a song that compels me to share and this thread seems like a good place to do so. Please add you music whenver the mood strikes you.

Eric

Last edited:
That's a great song. And I admit I never heard of them before. Just another good reason to tune in to duckboats.net

Test

Sorry for the goofy post, but I was trying to figure out the reset on my password as i never saw a reset e mail. By the way, loved the song!
Buck7.JPG

Last edited:
[quote Eric Patterson]I totally forgot this song existed. Stumbled across it today and am much more impressed now than when it came out in 1992.

Eric[/quote]

1992???? I didn't know anyone made music beyond '72 [whistle]

I just recently found this group. It would lend itself well to symphonic adaptation IMO. The woman has an incredible voice and the music is tight and heavy and dynamic. An interesting juxtaposition of such powerful music mixed with such a gentle voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRPcngWfk0M

I also ran across these folks. The are aussies "the southern river band" (which explains the mullet) and are no doubt influenced by the legendary RnR band AC/DC. Don't let the video give you a Seizure, the guitar solo will really tickle Angus Young. I thought it was pretty well done and the guys certainly earned a gatorade for their performance IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Vfzet8XIA

I'm a true audiophile, and have a background running soundboards and mixing consoles, playing and writing music, so I listen in for things like the breakup on a distorted guitar, the resonance of a room, the body of a bass guitar... stuff that some folks don't quite listen for.

The next one is what became of the PNW Bands Nirvana and Soundgarden. They combined forces and found Jillian to sing along with one other gal and got Bubba to help do guitar stuff. Toned things way down and came up with 3rd secret. you'll have to copy and paste the link, it wont hyperlink for some reason.
https://youtu.be/...?si=DDg2wKzULz4kCc78

And lastly. Helms Alee from around Puget sound. These guys are incredible IMO. The gal who plays drums is a Goeduck biologist and expert to boot. I think their work is super artistic and kind of dark and can be bold. like their name would imply, there are many nautical references in their work. The video for this tune is dark and forboding and instense. Some folks like that in their music.... Kind of like going to a scary suspenseful movie. Check them out here have to copy and paste it.. .link is not linking. "

Maritime lyrics like ...."lurching forward, heaving ho
you buck and shudder any time the wind blows".... I think it is poetic and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6zkunINoVQ

Last edited:
Eric,

Dropkick Murphy's The Season's Upon Us.

https://youtu.be/smfOqd0VukU?si=Opbq8aVuZUYRVSpN

Just find it is more like holidays in most houses then a Hallmark Christmas movie.

Rick

Here's one I'd not heard in many years. Five seconds into it I am regretting it hasn't been in my playlist. This is just one of the many Yes songs I listened to countless times in the 80s. I find the ebb and flow of the song to be beautiful and mesmerizing.

I've been on a 90s to early 2000s kick lately. The usuals, like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, some Radiohead, etc.

I've become more and more of a Chris Cornell fan. Too bad he's gone but he left a lot behind. Then again, maybe I'm just a fan of depressing rock.

The older I get the more music is “noise” short of peaceful slow instrumental stuff.
I hear so many beeps, buzzing, pump alarms, phones ringing during my shifts… I need the quiet when I get home.

Don’t even listen to the radio anymore on the drive even if it’s a 4 hour drive ..

The older I get the more music is “noise” short of peaceful slow instrumental stuff.
I hear so many beeps, buzzing, pump alarms, phones ringing during my shifts… I need the quiet when I get home.

Don’t even listen to the radio anymore on the drive even if it’s a 4 hour drive ..
I used to be music 100% of the time while driving. Now it's about an even split with podcasts. I listen to most every episode of Duck Season Somewhere and Making It.

Duck Season Somewhere
Making It

Blues anyone?

The drummer from this band lived across the street from me.
We used to fish together. They used to jam in his garage once a month or so.
He moved away about 15 years ago. I miss those days...

I've been listening to a lot of Blues and really honed in on : Christophe "Kingfish" Ingram. He's young but he can really play the blues. I also listen to Justin Johnson a lot, the guy really needs to be a bigger star. He builds and plays a lot of his own guitars, including a 3 string shovel guitar. If you haven't listened to either of these guys, you should give it a go.

Back