Whats on the workbench in April.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Already considering reworking the undertail coverts (a bit too dark).

Bob,

"
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]the undertail coverts",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, really???? When the ducks get close enough to notice THAT,,,,,,,,,,, you should be pulling the trigger! It is, after all, only a decoy--- right?

(Just yanking your chain) nice work BTW :>)
[/font]

Dave,

When the first garganey teal to fly the Ohio River corridor sees this baby, he's going to throw himself out of the sky at it!

I'm leaving no opportunity to chance! Everyone knows that next to 2 liter pop bottles spray painted black and carefully placed MOJOs, ducks can't resist decoys with the devil in the details. ;-)

Jode's call worked outstanding this AM, this is definetly my new favorite call and it's gonna look good on the shelf after the season! Jode I told ya I was going to kill one using it and retire it, not a chance it will be in my vest tomorrow when I call for my dad and the rest of the season. Thanks again Jode

Larrys2012birdJodeHillmancall.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Sure is alot of nice work Brandon.

I've been working on this years batch of turkey calls. Sassafras and Osage Orange. Nice and raspy with a similar remarque as on the decoys.

Here's what they look like.

12call.jpg.w560h347.jpg

Ill spare you guys the pictures of whats on my workbench tonight and just tell you.. Some blood. Guess Its inevitable if you carve long enough you cut yourself bad enough to go to the ER. Was a nice clean cut across the tip of my thumb with a hook blade. I blame Dave for making it to sharp all those years back.

I was home with my son, we had one car down so my wife had just taken my truck to town. My son had just finished his readyman last week for scouts so he knew what to do and helped me bandage it up and called grandma to give me a ride to town.

Atleast I did it on a special decoy I am working on for a friend I hope there are a few blood stains. I was cutting through some white ash inserts. Guess I was pushing to hard and I have not idea why my other hand was where it was.... just stupid!

Anyway Its going to put a little damper on my carving the rest of the week but I should be able to still paint. They cleaned it up gave me a shot and glued the cut closed. Probably going to be an expensive decoys with the cost of the ER tacked onto it..

I blame Dave for making it to sharp all those years back.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one would think you had learned how to use it properly by this time. Tell you what, next one I'll include a tube of super glue. :>) :>)
[/font]

I blame Dave for making it to sharp all those years back.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one would think you had learned how to use it properly by this time. Tell you what, next one I'll include a tube of super glue. :>) :>)
[/font]

Don't think I didn't consider the tube of supper glue in the drawer but I knew two things. 1.) My wife would come home at some point and 2.) My son no matter how much ice cream I offered him would tell his mom I cut myself and glued it shut. Knowing my last tetanus shot was about 15 years ago I did not think that it would be worth the trouble I was creating with her I went in to the doc.

But you know I think Ill take you up on that next time. Now that I am up to date on my shots and all!

Get yourself some 3M Steristrips. About a month ago I stuck a half round goude about 1/2" into the meat of my hand. I cleaned it out real well with iodine and kept a steristrip on it for a week and it healed very nicely.

If Dave gets product liability lawyers involved on his next version, he might end up sending you a rounded off file to carve with. Try cutting yourself with that! Hehe. Trip

If Dave gets product liability lawyers involved on his next version, he might end up sending you a rounded off file to carve with. Try cutting yourself with that! Hehe. Trip

That or a soft rubber Bowie knife.

Good thing Brandon didn't drop it in his lap! He could be singing a different tune. Tiny Tim comes to mind. Trip.

Brandon, it could be worse and score much higher on the stupid scale. I was messing around pretending to carve a couple of can decoys wearing a pair of slip on moccasins. I dropped the burr and flex shafts and it bounced off the instep of my foot. Four months later it is finally healed although I will go to my grave with the scar. That decoy is still waiting for paint.

Paul, That does make me feel better. I have carved in my slippers before I think Ill take your warning and remember my boots.

Dave, don't get the lawyers involved it will just increase the price and force you to send production to china. The the quality will slip and they won't be sharp enough to cut myself with. Your knifes sure are comfortable in my hands and they hold an edge really well. I use the small blade a lot of cross grain cuts. The hook blade is reserved for details and flesh.

DNA covered birds happen, so do trips to the ER. Last time I should have gone to the ER I did not, I ran a big bit across a knuckle and down the finger some. When one of the ER doc I work with saw my wound he questioned me why I did not get it sutured up. First I did not want to pay the copay and second by the time the sutures would have been removed in 14 days the wound would be healed on it's own.

Back