Whats on the workbench in April.

Great work by all. After almost completing the remod (waiting ordered lights) I was able to work in the garage. It was wonderful if only to get it clean. This can was given to me a fellow I used to hunt with. He got it from an old man in Iowa it was part of a rig they used on the Mississippi River. Even being gentle with it over the years it still fell apart this weekend. I am salvaging the head and bottom board will put some high density 3" cork on it and keep it a bobtail. Should be a fun project to do, several hunks of lead shot in the head still and I will be cleaning up the brass tacks that they used for eyes. Going to try and keep the staple for anchor attachment and the dog bone pad weight. Probably will not repaint the bottom board but I will clean up the dowel hole and seal it all up with some epoxy.

3.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

Took time to do some painting other than on decoys. Both small oils done on linen.

I enjoy all sorts of outdoor activities. Here's a pic of one of my favorite gunning spots and another of what I hope to be catching in the next couple weeks.

"The Cabin At Hollywood Beach"

"Working On A Bushel"

The reason I asked was that the (road ? or water ? ) that goes by the cabin appears to be going up hill. If it were to be water. The horizon line would be flat I guess. Knowing that cabin. I didn't know if it was the road leading to the back of the cabin or not ... Whatever.

Good stuff Fellas. Always enjoy the Pics.

Rasping, and filing em, here's a beautiful Coot I am getting ready to finish. Gonna just dunk it in hot tar, and wrap some white Hockey-Tape on the beak. Since it's playoff time I figured??? Finest Coot Decoy in the Marsh next Fall I'm hoping. Unless somebody brings a bag of those Mega-GHG Oversizers. Crossing my fingers.

ACoot.jpg

Couple piddly little Teals too.

AAAAA.jpg

I like those birds bender. Gotta a Great Lakes look to um.

Here is a pic from St. Micheal's . From this past weekend.
Left to right. Me, Eddy Wozny, Reggy Birch, Oliver Lawson, Bill Gibian , and George Strunk.

DSCN3148_1_.jpg_src_.jpg

That's a neat picture Sean, definitely one for the wall. So that's what a Lab really looks like!

Shirt looks almost silk to me?? What's up wit dat?! At least you took your smokin' jacket off and set the pipe down before the shot.

Thanks . I'm humbled by these men. They are all legends in my book .
Sorry, but I don't have any close ups of the decoys. They were all outstanding though !

Pretty good thread overall I guess... (Insert Smile)

Nice Mallards, and Pics Roy.

Nose-Art/Paint-Job for a SW FL Duck Hunter. 1 Mottled Duck a day... Supposed to be some faded out Barnwood, and a broken down Mottler Drake. Quotation was Buddy's idea. I couldn't argue. Yes they must I think too. Haha.

ADieDuckie-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic from St. Micheal's . From this past weekend.
Left to right. Me, Eddy Wozny, Reggy Birch, Oliver Lawson, Bill Gibian , and George Strunk.

DSCN3148_1_.jpg_src_.jpg

Okay, that does it, I can't post anything more on this thread, this month...

Roy,
Very nice job. Your technical skills are improving with each decoy you do. I don't know who you have been talking to but keep talking to them its working.

I like the new layer of dry ticking you did on the feathers on that hen and the detail on the speculum on the drake is cleaner then in past decoys. Your a perfect example of how time behind the brush improves the skill level. Very nice! can't want to see the next ones.

Hey Sean, get a tan hat and unbutton your shirt and you can start calling George Mini Me.

I think you are obsessed...and probably still pissed that Tod wouldn't pose for a picture next to Cole's dad

Back