What's on your WORK BENCH - DECEMBER 2020

We're getting there. Using Steve's tutorial as my bible. So far 4 are complete, less some dull-coat spray. Trying to determine which brand I would like to use. My goal is to have this rig be passed to my grandkids someday far down the line. I had no idea how involved this process was. From disassembly, to repair, to restle coating (which is a lot harder than it looks), to priming, and finally painting. Wife is helping me with the paint. Space is the real issue. I don't have a full workshop so most of the finishing is done in my renovated basement.

View attachment IMG_5122.jpg

Last edited:
You need to re-address the collar on the NECK of the brant. It is a LOT lower than you anve indicated. Also note, the atlantic has an incomplete collar. The brant might not care, but you will eventually do something about that.
Nothing lasts forever, well, that I am aware of, so be prepared to do occasional retouches on the stool. You probably do not need dull coat, as the images you provided appear quite matte. The only gloss part of a brant is its bill.
If you have a specimen, or access to images, check the collar.

I asked the guys out at the lease about the snake thing and they said they only had issues with them in the warm months. The box is covered in 1/2" hardware cloth on the upper parts. My only real concern is the quail box outside for catching birds. There is a gap between the box and the house that I may need to hardware cloth over.

It is something that I will keep an eye on though. A concern for sure. But so far the guys at the lease say that snakes haven't been much of an issue.

Been a long time between posts here...far too long! Anyway, more time to hunt and carve these days. Here's a recently finished hollow cedar Wood duck drake. Going to end up as a gift to one of my graduate students who worked on Woodies for her recently completed thesis.

Hoping to be more active on the site and maybe even build a boat in the future.

Brian
View attachment McCarty WODU_2021.jpg

Hey mate, everything needed for a decoy is there! Pretty nice gift for a student. Good memory, too! Did you float it? Is there an acorn inside? Stay busy. Get the kids started , at least with sanding and glue ups! HEHEHHEHE

Hey Obi,

Floated and ready to hunt. Has a MN State quarter inside so you can tell it's hollow. She worked hard on her thesis and she's the first Graduate student of mine to finish, so she's earned it. We hunt together a ton anyway, so i get to hunt over it too!

Back