What's On Your Workbench? September

After review, I wish I had taken more photos along the way.

About a week ago my faithful, dependable, 45 year old table saw, gave up the ghost. This saw was built with a large diameter "flex shaft drive" to power the saw blade. Over the the years it has been noted that this drive system is a week point in the design. So much so that it is the "Achilles heel" for total failure. I say this because there are no replacement parts or suitable substitutes to replace this broken flex drive.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as I was sitting in the doctors office the other day with time to kill, I checked "market place". It didn't take long to discover a used saw just a few miles from me. Yes the saw had a few issues. (A) the table was rusty (B) the height adjustment barely moved an inch or so (C) the tilt moved even less Despite these apparent issues, nothing looked broken, just gummed up, dirty and rusty. I paid the man and we loaded it up. Getting it home, I then removed the motor to reduce some weight. Got my neighbor to help me carry it into the garage. At which point I started a complete teardown and cleanup. Each piece was cleaned, wire brushed or sand blasted, inspected and then given a fresh coat of paint. Most of the cast iron under-carriage had never seen paint from the factory.

I was pleased to find that indeed everything was actually in working order. I had already allocated for a new Vee belt, an upgrade from aluminum pulleys to cast iron pulleys and new arbor bearings.

The rip fence was not factory, nor was it aftermarket. It is homebuilt, but done in a machine shop by someone who knew what he was doing. Way over built, in terms of sturdiness and dead on, in terms of being parallel to the saw.

All and all, I am pleased with the end result and it will serve my needs quite well. I forgot to mention that this used gem, cost me the princely sum of $65 to which with replacement parts means I have $125 plus sweat equity in my "new" table saw. Another interesting fact, my old saw was 45 years old. My "new" saw is 46 years old, a tag cast into the bottom side of the table top reads "January 1978".

20240908_152245.jpg

20240908_155016.jpg

20240906_140922.jpg20240911_194950.jpg

20240912_150430.jpg

Last edited:

About a week ago my faithful, dependable, 45 year old table saw, gave up the ghost. This saw was built with a large diameter "flex shaft drive" to power the saw blade. Over the the years it has been noted that this drive system is a week point in the design. So much so that it is the "Achilles heel" for total failure. I say this because there are no replacement parts or suitable substitutes to replace this broken flex drive.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as I was sitting in the doctors office the other day with time to kill, I checked "market place". It didn't take long to discover a used saw just a few miles from me. Yes the saw had a few issues. (A) the table was rusty (B) the height adjustment barely moved an inch or so (C) the tilt moved even less Despite these apparent issues, nothing looked broken, just gummed up, dirty and rusty. I paid the man and we loaded it up. Getting it home, I then removed the motor to reduce some weight. Got my neighbor to help me carry it into the garage. At which point I started a complete teardown and cleanup. Each piece was cleaned, wire brushed or sand blasted, inspected and then given a fresh coat of paint. Most of the cast iron under-carriage had never seen paint from the factory.

I was pleased to find that indeed everything was actually in working order. I had already allocated for a new Vee belt, an upgrade from aluminum pulleys to cast iron pulleys and new arbor bearings.

The rip fence was not factory, nor was it aftermarket. It is homebuilt, but done in a machine shop by someone who knew what he was doing. Way over built, in terms of sturdiness and dead on, in terms of being parallel to the saw.

All and all, I am pleased with the end result and it will serve my needs quite well. I forgot to mention that this used gem, cost me the princely sum of $65 to which with replacement parts means I have $125 plus sweat equity in my "new" table saw. Another interesting fact, my old saw was 45 years old. My "new" saw is 46 years old, a tag cast into the bottom side of the table top reads "January 1978".

View attachment 58172

View attachment 58173

View attachment 58183View attachment 58182

View attachment 58175
Great looking saw. Looks like a copy of a T square fence. Appears to be fitted for a magnification lens over the tape measure. Is it milled from aluminum?

Literaly on the bench think she will make another season 😂
View attachment 58190
did this last february. I HATE HATE HATE pulling the lower on my 08 optimax. Coming off no problem, back on and lining up the splines without forcing it back in the housing is about the most miserable thing anyone can put themselves through. I am just really bad at it but I get it done but I force (when I say force, I mean its an act of god to get me to do it and I shed tears as soon as I start loosening the bolts on the lower) to get it done every 2-3 years.

Based on how this one looks.... did it even have a flow out of the telltale in the last 3 years lol? Is this what is left of the motor after the top half overheated and blew up? All kidding aside, how does an impeller get to that point? Too many dry starts maybe or just sit for far too long and you're now refurbing before getting back in the water?

did this last february. I HATE HATE HATE pulling the lower on my 08 optimax. Coming off no problem, back on and lining up the splines without forcing it back in the housing is about the most miserable thing anyone can put themselves through. I am just really bad at it but I get it done but I force (when I say force, I mean its an act of god to get me to do it and I shed tears as soon as I start loosening the bolts on the lower) to get it done every 2-3 years.

Based on how this one looks.... did it even have a flow out of the telltale in the last 3 years lol? Is this what is left of the motor after the top half overheated and blew up? All kidding aside, how does an impeller get to that point? Too many dry starts maybe or just sit for far too long and you're now refurbing before getting back in the water?
Motor is a 94 I got the motor of a fellow that used it in a lake in PA fresh water since new (cleeeeaaannn) he told me it sat for some time . I fired it up yesterday pissed hard for 20 minutes then just stopped in a barrel so I knew right then i had this lower off in literally 10 minutes an pump off wait for the new one these Johnson’s are super simple when it comes to water pumps I gotta fix this so I can tune the carb I just rebuilt it and am having trouble with idleing correct ohh the joys of having 5 duck boats (I have a problem ) lol 😂

Motor is a 94 I got the motor of a fellow that used it in a lake in PA fresh water since new (cleeeeaaannn) he told me it sat for some time . I fired it up yesterday pissed hard for 20 minutes then just stopped in a barrel so I knew right then i had this lower off in literally 10 minutes an pump off wait for the new one these Johnson’s are super simple when it comes to water pumps I gotta fix this so I can tune the carb I just rebuilt it and am having trouble with idleing correct ohh the joys of having 5 duck boats (I have a problem ) lol 😂
5???? Good lord I have enough time trying to keep a mudrig and a bass boat going. BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand and in your case its THOUSANDSSSSS! Couldn't image 5 to play with. Good for you sir, sounds like you are doing everything right in life. Have fun playing.

View attachment 58172

View attachment 58173

View attachment 58183View attachment 58182

View attachment 58175
Dave~

Good for you! The table saw I "drive" is a 1930-40s Walker-Turner. I am in the midst (of LOTS of different projects) an early Craftsman belt-disc sander - pretty much the same approach as you. All cleaned up and painted - just need a full day to put everything together. Maybe in January???

All the best,

SJS

Dave~

Good for you! The table saw I "drive" is a 1930-40s Walker-Turner. I am in the midst (of LOTS of different projects) an early Craftsman belt-disc sander - pretty much the same approach as you. All cleaned up and painted - just need a full day to put everything together. Maybe in January???

All the best,

SJS
Steve,
Even though I do not build cabinets, I do like to be able to make a square ,parallel and true cut. The size of the table gives me what I need at a price I can live with. I may not use my saw for months. I have too many other interests.

Not quite on the bench but many of my tools on the bench have been moved inside the house. I am laying new flooring in my bedroom. My dad put the plywood down for me on top of the subfloor so he has helped with that. Today I got 2/3 of the bedroom done. I have reached a point where I need to think about how to incorporate the closet and I don't wanna do that tired.
IMG_3895.jpeg

I should be able to finish it up tomorrow. I got started late today because my ac wasn't working this morning. My dad and uncle did troubleshooting and figured out the problem. He bypassed the sensor that went bad so that i have ac while I await the new sensors delivery. Not a bad way to spend a rainy day......

i will be thrilled to have my bedroom done so I can move back in....

Oh....and my lab kept trying to "help" me by walking off with my rubber mallet every time I took a break...he never did figure out how to get it out of the dog door so hunting down the mallet wasn't too difficult....love it when they try to "help" 🤪

by walking off with my rubber mallet every time I took a break
Dani, My lab actually "cleans" my garage when I'm not looking. She will pick up paper towels, small sanding discs, wood cutoffs from the saw. Carries whatever, out to the yard, where she shreds it into smaller pieces. Guess I should be happy she apparently is not swallowing any of it.

5???? Good lord I have enough time trying to keep a mudrig and a bass boat going. BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand and in your case its THOUSANDSSSSS! Couldn't image 5 to play with. Good for you sir, sounds like you are doing everything right in life. Have fun playing.
Yes sir 18ft John boat , 12ft Heinrich’s box, 12ft duck wrangler sneak box ,15ft duck wrangler , 26 aquasport center console a finishing putting putting back together 36 albermarle sport fish so 6 total

Attachments

• 2206.jpeg
    2206.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 68401958685__7D9D674D-A5AC-4587-A1A6-967704D7EF1A.jpeg
    68401958685__7D9D674D-A5AC-4587-A1A6-967704D7EF1A.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 68670226200__A0FD6261-C0F8-435C-973D-2947B2E1A89E.jpeg
    68670226200__A0FD6261-C0F8-435C-973D-2947B2E1A89E.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    685.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5620.jpeg
    IMG_5620.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
That big loon decoy has been hollowed, sealed, given its final test float, and is ready for painting (whenever it is that I get to that :unsure: ).

RZ (10).jpg RZ (15).jpg RZ (18).jpgIMGP0433 (600 x 386).jpg

IMGP0458 (600 x 348).jpg Tank (5) (600 x 399).jpg

Dani and Dave, your comments on dogs getting into things in the shop & workplace put me in mind of when our now long departed Lab, Casey's Home Run Sadie, got so underfoot in the shop at 8 weeks old that I stuffed her in a decoy bag that was hanging on the wall and took a picture of it. Later on, the fine wildlife artist Bob Barnette did a graphite drawing of that picture and prints were sold through sporting art dealers for many years.

Copy (2) of Sadie3 015.jpg

Sadieprint.jpg

Restle coated the first of 50 dozen…. Hope to have a mega spread by 25/26 season. Not sure this is how restle coat is supposed to turn out. Will need to reach out to a few who do this process a lot more than me. This is my first attempt at it. Flocking is so much more forgiving than this stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpeg
    IMG_1814.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Bob,

Very good design and work on the Loomer Loon. Fall plumage paint I imagine. Look forward to seeing the project completed and put to work. Really like that photo.

Best regards
Vince

I finished my floor this weekend. Now for trim painting (which I hate).
IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

I was very pleased with how the closet turned out.

Back