MAY What's On Your Workbench?

Finished the Wirehair.

gwpwcfinsihed_zpsd307a768.jpg

Tim

great dog picture Tim, amazing what you can get done in a snow..haha

set of four I am working on. Will be the last set off of this pattern. It gets an upgrade soon to make it more correct but I hope to keep some of the same lines.
42DBFDB9_zps44e24b23.jpg

0F14FBB3_zps3bd9f6e5.jpg

quite a productive weekend. now back to work for 3 days. hopefully get all of these ready for paint next weekend. still have some fins to finish/make as well as some filling/sanding etc on the greenhead. 3 pages already and it's only the 6th! glad to see so much so early

IMG_2616_zpsf9a1838e.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks guys. I know it is a little rough yet, no pun intended.

Tom for a second I thought you were thinking I was drawing in the snow... no yellow snow used in this painting. :)
Love the bill on that mallard, very stylish.

Jeff those crappies are cool. Can't wait to see them painted.

Tim

View attachment Bluewing Teal Texas 2013_1.jpg
Some beautiful work being done to all!

Here is the 2nd all wood bird I have created, I beleive Dave Robinson has my first Can drake....2nd Finished bird of 2013 here in Texas...Hope all enjoy...More coming down the pipeline...Slowly but surely with a towel in my lap and blades to slowly chip at the birds.

Regards,
Kristan

Painting my rig in my messy and blurry paint room.

-D
Dave,

I am notice a carving style that I am very appreciative of, by chance, have you been sitting down next to Mr. Williams...Because if so you have gained alot of knowledge in a great gunning bird style...

Regards,
Kristan

George is a good friend and my mentor. Funny thing is that except for westlake, I've only carved with him once and have never painted with him. I couldn't have hand picked a better decoy maker to learn from.

-D

George is a good friend and my mentor. Funny thing is that except for westlake, I've only carved with him once and have never painted with him. I couldn't have hand picked a better decoy maker to learn from.

-D
Well you have done some great work...Love the birds! If you get an itch and want to trade a bluewing for a greenwing count me in for that trade.

Regards,
Kristan

Ya know... the thing I don't like about sanding.... is that it reveals all the imperfections. At any rate, here's one of the 4 heads on my workbench. It's my first attempt at a wood duck and I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up. Thanks to Pauly for the pattern.
101_5102_zps83d6f6dc.jpg
[/URL]

Andrew - I like the posture and the style. Keep it going. I can't wait to see them finished.

The perfect decoy hasn't been made yet and won't be... Pat

Since I made the oystercatcher last month I've had the urge to carve a few other non duck species. The first one up is this black crowned night heron.

I found a hunk of pine that a lifesize heron would fit on, then I started by searching for the measurements of one and then sketched a pattern.

between the chainsaw, bandsaw, and draw knife I've made it to this point. I drilled a hole in the head to accept a mahogany bill, then whittled one of the ends down so it would fit in the hole and gorilla glued it. I drilled the eye holes earlier than normal to help with the overall shaping. I'm thinking I should have done the head separate, or at least laid out the grain differently, but oh well! We'll see how he shapes up.

I left plenty of extra wood on this one and am going to have to break out the foredom now and get this thing wrapped up.

this is more of the white pine by dad planted in about 1960 and we cut and dried in feb of '06

-D

photo1-2_zpse0925429.jpg

photo2-1_zpsecdc8e50.jpg

photo3-1_zps6960a269.jpg

photo4-1_zps90058812.jpg

photo5-1_zps504b9c11.jpg

Back